New to hosting and need advice about leaving my first less than glowing review of a guest...

Zelde0
Level 1
Burlington, VT

New to hosting and need advice about leaving my first less than glowing review of a guest...

I have only been hosting for a month now; using the apartment above my own. I had a pair of young guests over the weekend who were not terrible, but not fantastic. I was very communicative and messaged them again the morning they were due to arrive to let them know the place was ready in case they wanted to check in a little early, etc. They never responded, which is fine. They were in town visiting her brother at college, which should've probably warned me they might be rowdier than my guests have been thus far... But, I didn't think of it. Anyway, they were perfectly quiet the first night, but last night was pretty loud... Loud music, loud talking and laughing until around 11:30. I stay up fairly late and even though it was a little annoying, it wasn't a problem... I just don't know if I should say anything about it in my review. I mean... I didn't LOVE hosting them... But like I said, they weren't awful. The apartment was left in good condition, tidy, etc. I just don't know what is prudent. Here's what I was thinking of posting:

"I didn't get a chance to meet Hannah while she was in town visiting her brother at college. They left the apartment tidy and did all their dishes, which I greatly appreciate. They were a bit loud one night out of two, but not terribly so and quieted down before midnight. I would host them again."

Please, I would love to hear other folks opinions! Thank you so much!

5 Replies 5
Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Zelde0

Hi there - struggling to see or understand what they have done to earn a bad review. They sound like good guest and in fact went quiet from 11.30pm which to me means they were conscious of not disturbing people.

unless you have a condition that says silence after 10pm then you really cannot say the broke house rules etc.

however if you think they should have been silent from  say 11pm onwards, then use this as a learning experience for you and make cl

...clear in your house rules what you expect.

Good luck!

Thanks!

Emma94
Level 10
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam

If you don't have nothing positive to say then don't leave a review. If you really want to warn other hosts then just write what it is that they did. Whatever you write make sure it is factual and that it is necessary so that other hosts don't run into the same issue. 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

@Zelde0 you have nothing in your house rules about keeping quiet after a certain time. Nor do you mention in your listing that noise carries so to keep noise to a minimum after a certain time.

Your guests sounds like they looked after the place and I can see no reason to mention this issue in your review.

You probably want to mention noise this in your house rules if it is an issue for you.