Daniel2639
Level 2
Manchester, United Kingdom

Hello all,

I recently joined AirBnb and fully expected it to amount to nothing — just a mad midnight kind of idea that I’d never get a return from, or even think about again.

However, just over 3 weeks on, I’ve had 16 confirmed bookings, successfully hosted 8 guests, and am currently on track to hit super host by the next evaluation. 

Also, despite whatI’ve read on the forums, I’ve personally found support to be helpful when I’ve encountered minor hiccups.

My only issue is pricing. Right now, my rate is quite a bit lower than I think the stay is worth (averaging £15/20 per night) — it really does come packed with extras.

So if possible, I’dlike to ask the community’s advice regards pricing. 

Should I bite the bullet, wait for superhost and then increase gradually?

Or would a higher price now positively affect me in search?

or is there another way to weak pricing to maximize returns? Do you use a cleaning fee? 

any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated. 

8 Replies 8
Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Welcome, @Daniel2639. The first thing to say is that I can't imagine how you're possibly making anything but a loss charging so little. Have you seen what local 'competition' is charging? That's a good excercise.

Personally I'd re-do your photos (in better light) and without the loo seat open (a crime against zen :-)).

Also, if somebody mentions something in their private feedback, don't mention it in your response, because you've raised a red flag for one that doesn't exist to anybody else. Oh, and the reviewer doesn't see it either!  

Cathie19
Level 10
Darwin, Australia

Hi @Daniel2639.

Go with what @Gordon0 said..... you can’t beat solid advise coming from a very experienced host such as Gordon.

You also can’t put a price on your own research into local listings. You’ll learn quickly what your property is worth and what you want out of your homestay, expect to refine as you go, and stay authentic. Listings must match the descriptors....

Place a lock on your personal space, your bedroom. If you have a filing cabinet, router etc in common areas, make them inaccessible or locked by unknown passwords. For safety, use a firewall or separate password for guests using the Internet. You do not need illegal or inappropriate uploads/downloads coming from your IP address. Consider a lock for the guest room as well, and have a spare key for emergencies only.

Also make sure your house rules are tight, without ambiguity. It’s nice to offer the WHOLE apartment, until this is abused... It’s nice to state you are relaxed and friendly.... until this is pushed to the enth degree.... and it will, because human nature makes us not always get on with the personalities of everyone we come in contact with...

So ask guests if planning big cook ups, to use the kitchen space in consultation with you both. Do limit noise levels etc for your own sanity. Maybe offer it all, or most, list it and communicate it. Have a space for guests personal food. Do the same. List the shelf as theirs, then yours. You don’t need to find that special food or treats have been blatantly consumed, without a care, because they got the munchies. Not only will your pricing be too low, but running at a huge loss from the consumables.

Also, consider what you will do if you have overly dominant guests who take over the shared spaces. Are you prepared to live in your bedroom, or set some shared house rules for common areas? What about extra guests? What about if guests come home from the stadium drunk and hungry, and wanting to party on, or cooking late into the early hours?

Yes these are not what everyone will do, BUT make your rules and understandings in documented form, in the descriptor/house rules etc, as well as a folder in their room on site. Make sure you have control and a leg to stand in with Airbnb CS. Cover for the worst, and hopefully, only the best can only happen...

🙂

Cathie

Rachel0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Daniel2639 Welcome to Airbnb.  I've had a look at your listing and I agree with @Gordon0  about the photos - they do need  some adjustments.  

However, I am not at all surprised that you are so popular as your prices are way too low.  I know it is a good idea to start off with a lower price just to get some guests in and some reviews on your profile but when I checked out a date in May it showed as £12  for one person and £19 for two.  Have a look at other listings in your area and see what they are charging and then reconsider what you should be asking for per night.  You can still keep it a little lower than the competition if you want, but at the moment I doubt you are even breaking even.  

I also noticed that your check in window is 10am to 11pm but that your check out time is stated as "by 3pm." How's that going to work if you have a guest arriving at 10am and an existing guest still in bed?  You need time to clean properly, change the bedding etc.  I would suggest making your check in times from say 2pm or 3pm until 11pm and ask the guests to check out by 10am or 11am - that way you get at least 3 hours to prepare for the next arrival and a chance to draw breath.  

Have a look at @Gordon0 's listing.  He is an experienced  host who knows what he is talking about and you may get some good ideas about how you can adjust yours.  You can have a look at mine as well if you wish.  My general impression is that you and your partner are obviously lovely people and good hosts, but beware of being too "laid back" and offering too much for too little - there are a lot of unscrupulous guests out there who if given an inch will take a yard.  Good luck!

Hi Daniel 

Welcome to the wonderful (and sometimes slightly crazy) world of hosting. Great advice given by the experienced hosts on here, sounds like you have made a good start too!

I would definitely research what others are charging in your local area, you could look into adjusting your prices - without a doubt, your pricing strategy is a key factor in making a success of your rental business,  I found this helpful if you want to take a look:  https://www.airgms.com/airbnb-pricing/

A few considerations:

1. Make sure your listing really paints a great picture of your place,  clear photographs are essential (and set the scene by making sure all spaces are clean, neat and well lit). You could even maybe add a video so guests can get a 360-degree look at what you have to offer?
  2. Market your place well by letting guests know about key features and the local area. 
  3. Communicate quickly and thoroughly - answer questions in good time and send follow up messages where appropriate.
  4. Screen your guests wherever possible.
  5. Make security a priority - consider using smart locks.
  6. Set house rules and ask guests to read them prior to booking.
  7. Keep on top of the cleaning (or get some help if needs be), guests can be fussy!
  8. Keep smiling - hosting is fun but can be tiring!

Daniel2639
Level 2

Wow! You have all provided some incredibly thought provoking and sound advice. 

I guess I am way too trusting of people in general — hence the lack of house rules and laidback approach. But, you’re all right, bad apples do exist and I’d rather be proactive now than get stung later.

@Gordon0 I know the pictures need a bit of worn but genuinely didn’t even consider the loo seat, lol! Thanks for your great advice. 

@Cathie19 once again thanks a ton for all of your insightful advice. Maybe it’s just my nature, or being British, but I hate the idea of having dozens of rules. I think it was kinda confirmed when one of my early guests (amazing to host) text me after checking out saying he was dreading the new place because of the excessive rules. I think I need to definitely add *some* rules to protect me, but at the same time allow guests to relax. Again thank you!

@Rachel0  thanks for your help! I think I set the prices so low just to gather some traction. It’s definitely worked, but I am in the process of tweaking to find the “sweet spot” if you like. I do feel I offer tons more value than local competitors (luxury king bed, access to entire house, tv bed, smart home features, etc.), so I’d eventually like to hit a more premium price point. My initial logic was simply to get superhost 😄 also, you’re absolutely right about the check in times. I’m going to fix that right away. Thankfully we’ve not had any issues just yet, but I’m sure it’s coming if we don’t change it!

Honestly, we started here with zero expectations. Now, we fully feel it could become a viable income!  And we’re super grateful for all your help assisting an idiot and his sinful listing - ha!

daniel 

Hi @Daniel2639 🙂

I also started out with absolutely no houserules as I expected people to behave as normal people :-). But I soon found out that my normal is not everyones normal. 

Also the houserules will help you if you need to contact airbnb. If you don't state anywhere that your guests can't bring 5 strangers into your home in the middle of the night they are not technically breaking any rules and airbnb can't help you. So houserules are actually very helpful and they will help making bounderies and set up expectations :-). Mine are simple but have made a big difference. They are listed on the listing an I add them to the greeting/directionguide message I write to the guest as well. I have also learned that having higher prices = better guests and actually also better ratings. 

Daniel2639
Level 2

@Kate-Mary0 sorry I completely missed you! Again super helpful stuff. I’m not sure about the lock box, though... people live here and we have someone available pretty much 24 hours a day if needed. I think a lock box might make it a bit impersonal? I’m not sure! Lol. What do you find are the pros and cons? 🙂

Also, checkin/out times amended, pricing increased slightly, and house rules added! Next is photos — might take a bit longer. If anyone is free to have a check over the changes, that’d be amazing. 

If you have someone to greet/help out your guests then that's fab, some prefer to provide their guests with the human touch. But for some, it's just not possible (I guess that's where the smart lock comes into its own.

I use [url=https://www.airgms.com/key-exchange-automation/?utm_source=Airbnb%20community&utm_medium=post]EveryD...]

It might be worth having a nosy about to see what suits you best. You asked about the pros and cons of smart locks, I see it this way:

Cons -

Your guests might prefer to be greeted by someone so they can be shown around/ask questions (I solve this by offering a really comprehensive welcome pack and making sure there's always a point of contact before and during their stay). 

Pros -

You don't have to be there in person to check-in and out your guests.

You don't have to pay (or grab a favour from) someone else to check-in and out your guests.

You can accommodate late check-in (can't make it until 10.30pm? No problem - it's self-check-in)!

No lost keys - lost keys are a pain, cue someone having to let guests in and locksmiths fees - annoying!

You can keep track of comings and goings at your rental.

If you do go for remote hosting at some point (maybe if you're juggling a handful of properties), you might want to consider exploring automation as a way of becoming more efficient - I'm trying to grow my portfolio, and have been checking out property management software that can ease my load a little! Any help I can get at the mo is welcome!!

Personally, I still add special touches in the form of a comprehensive welcome book and goodies from my local farm shop, discount vouchers I've negotiated with local attractions, etc. guests seem to appreciate thoughtful bits and bobs like that! 

Good luck with your hosting and feel free to get in touch at any time!