Nice way to decline if I just don't like the reservation?

Nice way to decline if I just don't like the reservation?

Hi everyone,

We're new to hosting and have a pretty big house (can do 9 people, but I list it as 8 b/c that's how much bed space we have without getting out the air mattress) that is well-suited for families. The master upstairs bedroom is open with no door and shares a half-wall with the stairs. The kids' room is adjoined (although there is a door you can shut) to it and it has two bunk beds--so a total of 4 twin beds. We are booking up fast for the season.

I don't really want reservations with 8 adults. Besides worrying that this could lead to parties and generally rowdiness , I worry that is a lot of wear and tear on our house and those bunk beds are not very comfortable or suitable for adults. I just got two "requests to book" from people whose groups are 8 adults. I messaged back and forth with each of them, explaining that the house is really set up for families and kids. Both say they are okay with it and that they have read all our rules (I asked them to) and agree to them…

But I just don't think it's a good idea, and I'd rather just wait for different sets of guests. One of the reservations told me it is 8 adults ages 24-28. Mmmmm, that gives me pause. I was pretty rowdy at that age and not as responsible as I am now.

What is the best way to gracefully bow out of these reservations without looking biased towards them? Since I've been messaging them back and forth, I'm feeling pressure. In retrospect, maybe I should've just declined them, explaining that our house is unsuitable for all adults.

Maybe I'm being too cautious…but these are not ideal reservations for me…should I just roll with them? Or find a way to decline them and wait for different guests?(what I really want to do). How do I say it without causing too much upset? Your experience and input is appreciated! 

6 Replies 6
Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@David-and-Annie0  tell them those are beds for kids, 80x190 cm, and can hold up to 50 kg 🙂

One of the groups I am inclined to accept. He is really trying hard and has two good reviews that mention he was a big group but caused no trouble. He says it is a group of people who go to church together and they will be very quiet, etc. I'm inclined to believe him…but then again, he could be conning me. At the very least, I'm getting the idea it is all men…not sure what to do…

Luana130
Level 10
State of Bahia, Brazil

If you are unsure about renting use the beds as an excuse. Say that because the beds are not able to take the weight of an adult you can only rent to a party of a maximum of four adults, you should write that in the description as well as house rules. Someone saying they are quiet and religious would be a red flag for me... I would not rent it, they are trying too hard to make themselves look good, and when that happens it is usually trouble. I heard a horror story once about a host who accepted a pastor... 

Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

@David-and-Annie0 IMO you need to get clear on your house rules. Either you accept parties of 8 adults, or you don't. If you don't, this should be in your house rules. And either you accept renters under 25, or you don't. Again, if you don't, this should be in your house rules. Then you will have no need to "gracefully bow out" which TBH kind of seems more like a way of trying to back out without making them mad about wasting their time. (FWIW, as a guest this kind of back and forth would be irritating enough to make me book elsewhere on my own.)

Katrina79
Level 10
Saskatchewan, Canada

@David-and-Annie0 I understand your rationale, and of course having some fears as new hosts. I think you do need to be very clear in your description or else you will find yourself coming up with constant excuses why you can’t accept an adult group over 4. FYI I have kids and they are messy! And they break things...

Whenever a prospective guests starts trying to change the boundaries I have set for myself and the space I rent out, I decline the reservation. My attitude is; I have what I have. My space is very nice, clean and reasonably priced for one or two people. I also accept one dog under 40 lbs. I have reasons for that criteria that no amount of negotiating by a prospective guest can change. If you feel funny about having all adults, just say your house is set up only for families. Period.