Nightly price distorted by cleaning fee

Kim7
Level 1
Tasmania, Australia

Nightly price distorted by cleaning fee

The per night tariffs advertised on the initial search pages is distorted in favour of those who charge a cleaning fee. 

It can make quite a big difference. If a $50 cleaning fee is charged it makes the initially advertised price appear $25 cheaper than it actually is.

That initial search result should reveal that the quoted price is PLUS CLEANING FEE. Or perhaps, for those like us who build in our own labor costs we should be able to include NO CLEANING FEE.

If there is one complaint I have heard repeated by people about airbnb it is that "costs get added on...."

2 Replies 2

You have the choice whether to charge a cleaning fee or not. The system, as it is, works well for a lot of us.

We charge a cleaning fee because we don't have a minimum number of nights. We wash all the floors, change and launder all linens (goes without saying) wash baseboards, vacuum, clean windows, refrigerator, stove - everything, every time we receive a new guest. That is why we consistently get 5 stars for cleanliness. But the thing is, I do the same amount of work whether they're here for one night or seven and while our rate makes sense for more than three or four nights, there is no way we could charge what we charge and factor in the amount of time I spend on cleaning with any degree of consistency.

So cleaning is broken out into a whole seperate thing. It encourages longer stays and penalizes those who take up more of my time than I can honestly afford to give them. And rightly so.

I suggest, if you're feeling put upon by the cleaning fee, you lead with that in your listing description.

Personally, I think people who use Airbnb regularly expect it and those of us who need it, really need it.

Clare0
Level 10
Templeton, CA

Hi @Kim7, I agree with you about the annoyance of an added cleaning fee and I see your point about listings that would appear cheaper than they really are when "add-ons" are applied.  

I rent an entire home and have no add on's since I want the price I advertise to be my true price except for the Airbnb 12% add-on.  Guests who look at less expensive listings with cleaning fees, etc. soon find out the real cost when they attempt to book and see the true reservation price.  

I wouldn't state in your listing description that you don't charge a cleaning fee, however.  That might lead a guest to believe that if they left a mess, damaged / broke something that they won't be held accountable.  

I know its frustrating, but I'm not sure any of us can do anything about the advertised price...Cleaning fees are disclosed in listing descriptions, however. 

Good luck to you and Happy New Year!