Nightmare: 7 Year Superhost v. Guest with 0 Reviews, Listing Suspended

Aj92
Level 4
Dallas, TX

Nightmare: 7 Year Superhost v. Guest with 0 Reviews, Listing Suspended

@Catherine-Powell Like many have posted on here, my account was suspended after an angry guest levied an accusation.  No notice to me.  No requirement of any proof from them.  No end in sight.  The guest has 0 reviews, and I've been a host for 7 years and a Superhost for most of that time.

I have a large, Spanish style listing north of downtown Houston that is in a transitional / gentrifying neighborhood. The place is entirely safe. I myself stayed there for 6 weeks with my rescue puppy getting the place setup. It has a giant private gate, ring flood lights on the exterior, and kick in proof reinforced doors on all entrances. My listing location is accurate--I tell everybody it's 5 miles north of downtown, which it is. I also mention the flood light cameras and ring doorbell.

My guest Monday night, who has 0 reviews, immediately messages me claiming that they don't feel safe in the neighborhood even before entering the house (it's completely safe, but has some poorer houses). I tell her I am happy to refund the unused days if she wanted to cancel but that I had never had a safety issue at the location and mentioned all of the security features, but that I will not refund that night as it was already 9 pm and the maid had already cleaned the place. To me, this was very reasonable.

She then starts sending me and Airbnb an array of photos / claims. First, she claims the doors in the house don't lock. Luckily, I have smart locks and send them proof that not only do they lock, but she's had to enter the access code each time so she knows they lock, and I check the ring doorbell and literally see her asking for the code to enter and  hear her referencing seeing what the inside is like in an effort to get the 1st day also refunded, so she literally checked in knowing she wouldn't be staying there and determined to find issues in an effort to get the rest refunded.  I send the video to her and airbnb. Second, she takes a photo of a piece of tape the handyman used to cover holes he drilled into the wall above the fireplace to mount the TV. To be clear, she literally removed the TV from the mount to find this piece of tape and it was a literal photo of a piece of tape. She claims this piece of tape is a safety hazard and is actually a live and exposed electrical wire. When I mention if she pulls it down she will see a regular wall with a stud behind it and no wires, she then claims the place is in a different area than I advertised and takes photos of trash set outside for pickup as trash day is the next day (the gate is 100 yards from the house, so the trash is nowhere near the home and is exactly where it should be for pickup). That said, both bins are oddly knocked over and I believe she did that based on a statement from my neighbor. She then tries to claim the maid left all of her cleaning supplies in the entryway (she has been cleaning with me for months and would never do that, as they are all kept in the master closet which is behind a hidden / false bookcase).  I receive no photo showing cleaning supplies of any kind.

She then threatens me with legal action if I don't give her a full refund.  I tell her I'm an attorney and to go for it.  She then reports my listing claiming the cameras are inside the house (keep in mind I sent her the literal video showing her outside at the front door so she knows they are not inside).  Of course airbnb suspends my account while they "investigate" the cameras without ever talking to me.

I get an email from one trust and safety ambassader very early Tuesday morning asking to call me Wednesday at 1 pm.  I tell them this is urgent and to call me ASAP and not wait for the following day.  Nobody calls me.  Next day at 1 arrives and again no call.  Keep in mind I have called airbnb at least 15 times trying to fast track a resolution here.  Nobody calls.  Trust and Safety can't be reached, and never bothers to ask me for info.   I call daily asking for updates and get the same story others complain about here--I get told to wait for an email that I will receive within a timeframe and I never get said email.

I take the initiative to send Airbnb my ring listing screenshots for all of my listings, so they can see where the cameras are at every listing, I send them my ring login credentials so they can check themselves, I offer to allow somebody in Houston to search the place if they would like by giving them an access code, I reference the guest issues, I send screenshots of my listing descriptions showing the cameras are on there and match the ring screenshots, and I send a screenshot of Airbnb's camera policy as well and illustrate I am following it.  It's an easy investigation.  All they have to do is read my message history with the guests and check the ring camera account or look at the screenshots of the camera feeds.  It would take at most 20 minutes.  They do none of that.  I have no clue when this nightmare will end.  I am losing thousands daily across all of my listings and employ a full team of maids as well, so this doesn't just impact me.  I'm getting daily messages from guests concerned their reservation is cancelled because they can't find the listing in searches anymore, and my maids are concerned about when their next cleanings will be.

Airbnb needs to stop allowing guests who act unreasonably, break rules or policies, and more, to weaponize the review system and trust & safety.  Unbelievably, this woman who didn't like the neighborhood and only checked in to find issues to try to get more of a refund, and then lied about my listing getting it suspended, she is still allowed to leave a review, and if she doesn't cuss I am likely going to have many issues getting it removed.  The review system and safety complaints should be unbiased.  Anybody who gets thrown out of a listing for rules or policy violations are obviously going to be biased.  For established hosts at least require guests to provide SOME proof of the issue they are claiming before suspending an account.  There are no cameras inside any of my listings so I know **bleep** well that guest could not have provided any proof of a camera being on the inside of that house.  This entire thing has been alarming.

27 Replies 27

I would love to know if this ever got taken care of or resolved.

@Aj92  It's totally senseless. All they would have to do is take 3 minutes to look at a listing to see that the cameras are disclosed if a guest made a complaint. Instead they spend way more time suspending the listing, cancelling bookings (which I'm sure upsets the cancelled guests, who probably get sent some message about the listing having a safety violation) and answering messages from distraught and angry hosts. I can't imagine how they ever came up with the idea that this is a reasonable way to deal with a report.

Airbnb law - host is guilty until proven innocent

Completely agree with this quote - airbnb is always talking the guests side and accusing the host. It is so unsatisfying as a host when all you try to do is deliver a great experiance for the guests. 

I’m sending you an old woman’s warning with trembling hands…..

Host advocate?

you poor naive girl.

drop this like a hot teakettle and move forward with grace- let it go- there is no good down that road of the lost agents souls..

a dear dear friend was sexually assaulted by a guest, while on a live call with an agent who talked her calmly through it, promised it was recorded- and promptly vanished all traces of his name (the most unusual ever) and they claim he never worked for them, no call recording could be subpoenaed because

no agent

no call

that woman host - lifetime suspension 

that guest goes on as we speak.

Has 3 reviews that refer from women about his behavior.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Aj92  "airbnb is always talking the guests side and accusing the host".

Guests say the same thing, but vice-versa- that Airbnb always takes the host's side. 

I would like to see both of these notions scrapped. It promotes an adversarial relationship between hosts and guests, when in fact it needs to be a symbiotic relationship for Airbnb experiences to work.

Airbnb customer service is simply incompetent for both hosts and guests. I've read plenty of guest posts where it was pretty clear that it was the host who was at fault in a dispute and Airbnb backed up the host. It seems it's just a matter of which CS rep you happen to get or how the issue is presented.

For sure there are policies like suspending a listing immediately based on an uninvestigated guest accusation that are unfair and insane that need to be changed, but let's quit this "Airbnb  always takes the side of ____", because it isn't actually true.

Elaine701
Level 10
Balearic Islands, Spain

@Sarah977 

True. Airbnb support is simply incompetent, and should be avoided whenever possible. When not possible, prepare for a long, unpleasant ride that may lead to nowhere. 

Aj92
Level 4
Dallas, TX

@Sarah977 As an additional update, my account is finally unlocked fully, but Airbnb does not seem to be punishing the guest whatsoever for this.  In fact, despite my cancellation policy being strict and me retracting my refund offer after she refused to cancel so others could book and pulled all of this, they are voiding my cancellation policy and refunding her anyways.  They refuse to explain how their policies allow this.  So I'm out half a week including a weekend of revenue and the reservation itself all because the guest lied, and she is still allowed to use Airbnb with no recourse.  I'll leave a hell of a review warning others but it seems like Trust & Safety has no issue with any of this.

This persons account of what happened is absolutely what is happening

2 nights ago as I watched and listened in horror, an agent in live chat threatened our listing 17 times until we relented and lt him give the refund to a guest when we do it via the resolution center

the next day we met the guest who had voiced horrific comments according to our “senior case manager”. In a million years the circumstances that led us to find out that his threats were on both sides resulted in finding out she had to sleep in her car in freezing temperatures.

the next day we offered her free housing as we discovered this sociopath agent was a total freak. When we put the timelines together - the power trip that tells us all “there is no supervisor, you’re asking for me, I am the SENIOR CASE MANAGER!”

we waited for the magic switch they flip to suspend all our listings in one keystroke.

we called in live so he could be caught in the act and a trust and safety agent asked us the situation for 20 minutes so they could intervene.

when we asked them how they spelled their name again at the end of the call (ALWAYS DO THIS!) they stumbled, guessed and misspelled it- and when we mentioned it, they hung up

we had been further baited by this freak- it was the agent himself .

4 agents in the past 24 hours offered all scripted vague “we will get right on that”.

make sure you are always listed on multiple platforms, airbnb my be the easiest to run, and king for the moment - but not forever. 

read this poor woman’s post TWICE. How it seems so impossible or is she leaving something out? NO, it made me tremble. Her story is worse than almost any I’ve heard. 

THERE ARE ROGUE AGENTS. Always CALL FIRST. Beware when you are talking to two agents simultaneously- the guests agent WILL FORCE by internal messaging, your agent to “fold” and end your call.

sure these might be anomalies- but don’t live by them alone

I hope you see I wrote a supportive comment for you - but I’m going to advise you here to bow out quietly and gracefully and not further antagonize the situation.

I can’t go into details here but I am telling you don’t write that review— suck it up let it go they have more power and will come back at you and could be waiting for you to do exactly what you just said—- let it go. Don’t do it. It’s not over yet.

I was thrilled and relieved you were reinstated- but they take that back in a moments notice. That’s the shell game of passing cases around faster than you can write their names down.

My policy if the guest arrives and is not happy for whatever reason, they get a full refund. Who wants an unhappy person. It’s not worth the stress trying to recoup a small refund. The sooner the cancellation your calendar becomes available. In the 4 years this happened to me once.
I do charge for every night they stay.

Valerie186
Level 2
Windsor, CA

Did this ever get resolved?

@Valerie186 It did, but I'm fairly certain the guest was not penalized whatsoever for any of this, so I lost about 7 days of revenue from ALL of my listings, costing me 5 figures.  I've moved on without issue until yesterday, when I had to throw a guest out of one of my properties for throwing a party (booked for 2, got a noise complaint and saw 20-25 people entering the house through the front door camera).

He is now pulling the same thing, claiming I didn't disclose my exterior security cameras, which are in my listing repeatedly in the guest safety section, my house rules, and which I even message the guest directly about in one of my scheduled messages before arrival.  Did Airbnb bother to check any of these before suspending my listing?  No.  So I'm likely going to lose 4-5 figures of revenue while I wait this out again, for the same property already investigated, all because a guest threw a party with more people than Airbnb policy allows and I had an obligation to break it up. 

I really enjoy Airbnb overall but I will never understand how they allow this process to be this way.  They literally have screenshots of the video showing the guest entering the home and can see it is the doorbell camera that I disclose on my listing.  I will never get it.  At least this time only the 1 listing is suspended and not my entire account.