Nightmare guest walks away with several house items

Vinny0
Level 2
Los Angeles, CA

Nightmare guest walks away with several house items

My first guest requested to stay for a week, It all went well and she decided she wanted to stay one month longer. She wasn't very tech savvy, so as she lost the password to the old account she ended up creating a new one for the second booking. I've noticed during her stay that she was leaving with cups and spoons in the morning and not returning them. I even grabbed one really dirty trash filled cup and 2 spoons from her car the one time she asked me to move it (as it was blocking another guest in the tandem parking spots). As the end of her stay approached I asked her about it and she said she would return them. She left the day before her checkout date when we weren't home, without coommunicating. Upon checking on her room I noticed that she took 2 face towels, 1 bath towel, and one of the DECORATIVE PILLOWS. I get that people might pack a towel by mistake while confusing it with theirs (She didn't bring any of her own, so not the case here), but packing a BIG DECORATIVE PILLOW cannot possibly happen by mistake. That, along with the 3 spoons and 3 cups that she took, made it for a really unpleasant first guest experience. As a new host I tried to be extra nice and loaded the guests refrigerator with A LOT of breakfast foods and a wide variety of snacks. I mentioned that they were for breakfast but she took the opportunity to save money and, until I was forced to empty the fridge, she was having breakfast, lunch, snacks, and dinner from that supply, not once bringing food of her own home. I still left basic healthy breakfast food available as I knew she wouldn't gorge on that, and had to remove everything that needed to be cooked on the stove as she was leaving it a huge mess every single time. The food part is not the issue, and it was my fault as I did put myself on the line for trying to be too nice and provide way too much of it. However, the items that she left with did get to my head. There's no way one could possibly run a small business like airbnb if every single guest left with 3 spoons, 3 cups, 2 face towels, 1 bath towel, and 1 decorative pillow. The pillow came in an expensive set with 7 other items, so I can't just replace it. Same with the forks. The other items can be replaced but they definitely weren't cheap. I tried messaging her through the app and she won't answer. I tried calling and she sends me straight to voice mail. Leaving a bad review won't even hurt her, as she can always use her other account or even create a new one. What can I do in this situation, given that as being my first guest I didn't count on such a nightmare and didn't stipulate a security deposit?

4 Replies 4
Kevin-s0
Level 10
Minamiashigara, Japan

I would contact Airbnb so they can delete her accounts. They do, do that for bad guests like her. But difficult to get your stuff back . But you might want to get the police involved. Even if they were willing to talk with her, that might be enough to scare her into giving back your things.
Jane136
Level 1
Gatineau, Canada

Do you apply for the compensation from Airbnb? Does Airbnb make good a lose?

Make a claim in the resolution center before 48 hrs post check out Even if you don't collect, this creates a record on this guest. Add a security deposit to your listing!!! Review guest factually and in a professional manner. Remove expensive irreplaceable items from guests space. Sorry for your loss. Elaine
Steven47
Level 3
Northampton, United Kingdom

I would of given her a stern talking to.. Your home and she should be more respectful.
Put it down to a bad experience they very rarely happen so don't be put off.