No communication, several hours past check in?

Answered!
Jennifer3217
Level 2
Shallotte, NC

No communication, several hours past check in?

Q: should I request the guest to provide an estimated check-in time when I send them checking in details? If so, how do you go about this? 

Q: If I don’t request the guest to provide an estimated check-in time, should I check in with the guest if it’s 5-6 hours after check-in time and I haven’t heard anything from them? 

I have had a few guests not message back to any of the scheduled messages I send (there’s 3) and two of them have checked in after 9pm, which is totally fine, not messaging back and checking in late. However, I’m concerned that someone could try to turn that against me and say, oh they wouldn’t let me in or some off the wall thing….. so, just wasn’t sure if I should be proactive or reactive… it’s a guest home so do people who aren’t even living near/on the property even know when their guests check in? Also don’t want to seem intrusive. 

1 Best Answer
Ted307
Level 10
Prescott, AZ

@Jennifer3217 

We live in the main house and rent out our guest house, so we ask the guests to give us an estimate of their arrival time when we send the address and directions the day before the check-in date. We want to be sure we are home to greet them and show them the quirks of our little Bunkhouse. We have had a guest who never showed up, never replied to our messages! We were still paid by ABB, but it was disturbing.

If they have not arrived or sent a message by 8:00 pm, we lock it up. We have a driveway alarm for those late night arrivals, it is loud enough to wake us up. Most late arriving people have nicely replied to our question with their expected time to check in and we have stayed up late to let them in. (10 pm is late for us)!

Chris

Ted & Chris

View Best Answer in original post

3 Replies 3
Basha0
Level 10
Penngrove, CA

I see that 50 people have looked at your post and no one has commented. It’s not really clear that there is a problem unless you have to be there to let them in. Then you dictate the time frame

Ted307
Level 10
Prescott, AZ

@Jennifer3217 

We live in the main house and rent out our guest house, so we ask the guests to give us an estimate of their arrival time when we send the address and directions the day before the check-in date. We want to be sure we are home to greet them and show them the quirks of our little Bunkhouse. We have had a guest who never showed up, never replied to our messages! We were still paid by ABB, but it was disturbing.

If they have not arrived or sent a message by 8:00 pm, we lock it up. We have a driveway alarm for those late night arrivals, it is loud enough to wake us up. Most late arriving people have nicely replied to our question with their expected time to check in and we have stayed up late to let them in. (10 pm is late for us)!

Chris

Ted & Chris

Awesome! exactly the info I was looking for. Thank you for responding. I'll start adding that request in my check-in instructions.