No facilities / no hot water but extra fees - what do I do?

Marta1135
Level 2
Warsaw, Poland

No facilities / no hot water but extra fees - what do I do?

I have a few issues with my AirBnB accommodation in Sassari, Sardinia. I booked 2 nights for 3 people.

1. There was no hot water for the first 24 hours. There was also no microwave or basic kitchen utensils: oil, salt and pepper, although they were mentioned on the offer. I wonder - what amount can we expect for the first night? I'm thinking 30% (So 15% of the total price of stay)

2. There were additional fees in the description - my fault that I did not notice them earlier, but the description was in Italian and these are fees that are not in the summary of the price I pay to AirBnB - i.e. 6 euros of city tax that the owner wants to get in cash and 5.5 euros for third set of bedding. It is logical to me that if I am booking for 3 people then 3 sets of bedding are included. My question: are the additional fees mentioned in the description (but not in the payment summary) applicable?

3. In the price summary and in the fee we paid, there was only the total price and the service fee. The owner wants us to clean up the kitchen after ourselves. Don't get me wrong - I ALWAYS clean up after myself and collect used sheets in one place to facilitate the cleaners' work, but I find his demands brazen - cleaning up after the guests should be his responsibility, it's not a CouchSurfing. Am I right?

I don't want a conflict with the host, but I find his demands brazen, especially in the face of water problems and the generally imperfect condition of the apartment (e.g. a lot of blown light bulbs). What can I do in this situation?

18 Replies 18

@Marta1135  You really have no idea who you're lecturing about Palestine, but that's well beside the point. It's very clear where you stand on the principles here, and you're free to defend them as fervently as you want. 

But you asked the community "what to do in this situation" (your words), and it really boils down to whether you'd like to be enthusiastically welcomed by a diverse array of hosts on Airbnb in the future, or profiled as a high-stress guest who makes a big drama out of petty grievances. The more negative your roster of reviews looks, the less likely you'll be accepted by those really good hosts who attend well to their properties.

Heidi588
Level 10
Santa Cruz la Laguna, Guatemala

@Marta1135 , I'm not a host, so no mutual onanistic joys for me I'm afraid. 

After reading your latest comments, I stand firm that I don't support your stance or endeavor. Mild inconveniences or dislikes don't make you a victim worthy of great recompense, only mildly inconvenienced and aesthetically dissatisfied. That can be brought up to the host beforehand, and if he's not willing to address it, it can be tactfully mentioned in the review so that interested guests are aware, but not to scare off future hosts from welcoming you. Offering kitchen things does not ensure a microwave. If it wasn't in the photos, you don't have a reason to be offended there wasn't one. 

Just because I disagree with your stance and your aims doesn't mean I don't wish you well. I do. Take care. 

Heidi588
Level 10
Santa Cruz la Laguna, Guatemala

Oh yes, if a microwave was listed as an amenity, you have a case. If it wasn't, and there wasn't one in the photos to set an expectation, then unfortunately you don't. 

Take care. 

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

1) This sounds mildly annoying, no oil/salt/microwave, doesn't seem like a huge deal, it wasn't a cabin in the woods.  No hot water is more annoying, so maybe a slight refund appropriate there.  You could mention the missing amenities in a review, and I guess could have cancelled.

2) As you said, its on you that you didn't read the listing closely.

3) If you always clean up after yourself, what is there to complain about?  It is pretty standard that guests are asked to do some basic tidying up.