No hot water and apartment in bad shape

Kateryna11
Level 1
West Windsor Township, NJ

No hot water and apartment in bad shape

Hi all, I need some advice before I confront my host. I booked a room in prague and paid $55/night for six nights. First, the apartment is in much worse condition than the pictures indicated. The sheets have holes, there are cobwebs, the paint is peeling, the furniture looks like its from the dumpster, etc... Overall, it just seems like we definitely overpaid. On top of that, we haven't had hot water for two nights though so we can't even take a shower after a long day of walking around and sweating. Personally, I think this is completely unnacceptable given how much I've paid for this room. Can I be compensated for this overall hell? How much can I ask for? Thanks in advance!

5 Replies 5
Cormac0
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

@Kateryna11

does the apartment have a gas boiler? you may have to switch it on to give you hot water.

Kateryna11
Level 1

It's the boiler that's broken. we tried turning it on ourselves bc we had a gas boiler when we lived in ukraine, but couldn't get it. The host came over and tried turning it on too and said it's broken 😞

Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

Hello @Kateryna11 ,

You should have contacted the host, when you were there, about some refund.  Complaining afterwards is not common practice. Your review can also reflect the true experience you had, so future guests are warned. If you feel situation is really unacceptable and the listing is misleading, you can report the listing to Airbnb (by using the "flag" link)

Best regards, Emiel

Kateryna11
Level 1

I am still here, for another three days too. I have spoken to him about the state of the apartment but have not mentioned a refund yet. 

Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Kateryna11

The missing of hot water during two days could be a situation to ask for some refund. "Overpriced" is more difficult. You can report it to Airbnb, as mentioned before.

Or if really unsatisfied ask Airbnb for relocation or free cancellation. You can mention first to the host that you are going to contact Airbnb, maybe the host starts compensating you in some way.

Best regards, Emiel