No pet policy

Jeff1632
Level 2
Wichita, KS

No pet policy

I am not fond of the current "ROOM FOR ALL" commercial currently airing. It seems to imply that all Airbnb Hosts accept Pets. We Do Not. Not to mention I have had property damage caused by "Pets" when guests ignored house rules and brought them.  I currently have a ottoman getting repaired at a upholstery shop after it became a dog chew toy. Love the song, Love Dolly Parton, Hate the commercial! 

6 Replies 6

can we get a listing option that says a "no pet property" so we can sort through the locations that welcome pets to find ones that allow pets. We are not against pets just we prefer not to stay a week in a location that has that pet smell. That should be an easy fix for airbnb to arrange a menu item of NO PETS properties. It would be very helpful.

@Martin3753I have many friends with dogs and I visited their homes. I never ever noticed any "pet smell".

I do however noticed a "cat smell" in some homes with cats.

My apartments are dog friendly, (not cat friendly) but we rarely have guests with dogs and if you browse through our 300 reviews you will not find anyone mentioned "pet smell" so IMHO you are exaggerating.

@Branka-and-Silvia0  Both dogs and cats can leave strong odors. With cats, it's usually because there is a litter box or because "cat people" often tend to have several 🙂 

Some dogs smell quite "doggy", particularly if they don't get bathed often enough. I happen to have a dog that is virtually odorless, guests and friends have commented on it after petting her- "Wow, my hand doesn't even smell like dog- she has no dog smell". But in the rainy season here, when her fur is always a little damp, she really reeks and requires frequent bathing.

Homes with carpeting and lots of upholstered furniture retain pet odors, even if the animal hasn't urinated on the carpet or anything like that. Places with hard surface floors and just some throw rugs which get washed won't hold the smell.

@Branka-and-Silvia0 Everyone is different in how they perceive smells. It's also not just the smells. Allergies can be severely triggered whether the victim smells it or not. I find people who have dogs or other pets sometimes overlook the needs of those who cannot or do not want to be where they (dogs/cats/animals) have recently been. Asthma and allergies are a very serious medical condition that should not be overlooked. I do hope you, and others who hold this view, reconsider your viewpoint on this matter as an act of kindness towards others who do suffer. 

Jeff1632
Level 2
Wichita, KS

I choose to be No Pets, we have had guests that ignore that house rule. I have incurred major furniture damage as a result. Not to mention urine soaked rugs! If a guest has a legit service animal it would be one thing but you can get a ridiculous phony “service animal”  certificates for any animal. And I love animals, even Cats, but Not in my Airbnb! 

Nancy1729
Level 2
Tillsonburg, Canada

I had my first guest check out yesterday, and when I was cleaning it, I saw a lot of dog hair on the couches. We have a no pets policy, and it's been ignored. They didn't reach out and ask about potentially bringing one. What do I do?