No pets allowed but they brought a dog

Audrey535
Level 2
Sarnia, CA

No pets allowed but they brought a dog

It says no pets but they brought a medium sized dog. We have a shared entrance, they stay upstairs. I want to keep my 5 star rating so I didn’t say anything. We also have no smoking and have a balcony for that. I have smelt weed a few times. Today I stepped in dog poop in our entrance. Also there was dog pee on the stairs 😞 we live in a 120 year old Victorian home , and I have all white bedding. I can hear the dog running on my hardwood floors. The people seem really nice but who would smoke weed Inside and bring a dog? I’m so nervous to see the place when they are gone.  I wonder sometimes if hosting it worth the anxiety it can bring?  They are quite loud and are in and out a lot . Even ordering food at 3 in the morning. 2 more nights... 6 day . booking . Most of our experiences have been great, but it’s those few that make you rethink the Airbnb thing.

4 Replies 4
Lyn3
Level 10
Mapleton, Australia

Hi @Audrey535  These guests have overstepped the line, I feel.  I hope that when they check out, things will be not too bad...Were you there to show them in, with their dog? 

@Audrey535   Why on earth did you let these people into your home in the first place? It should have been apparent the minute they showed up at a No Pets household with an undisclosed dog, that these people had no respect for you, your rules, or your household. The minute you chose not to refuse them entry, you announced that you were not just the host but also the doormat, and let the doors swing open wide for all manner of ill treatment. Don't think for a minute that tolerating this is going to guarantee you a 5-star review; what it does guarantee is a lot more expense of time and money to repairing damage and cleaning the place enough to be suitable for the next guests - who might happen to be allergic to dogs.

Those stupid star ratings are just a bunch of pixels. Your beautiful 120-year old home, and your own peace of mind, are not worth sacrificing for ratings on a listing website. As the host, you are the boss of the household - and sometimes this means you've got to act like one: enforce your rules, and protect your home. If you don't feel prepared to do this, then it is not safe for you to be renting rooms to strangers, and you should probably take down your listing at once. But if the only thing holding you back from handling this situation properly was fear of star ratings, perhaps it's just your priorities that need to change.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

In your situation I would have contacted Airbnb on arrival to ask them to cancel the booking and help the guest be relocated. @Audrey535 

However having accepted them with a dog you should have clearly laid down an agreement with them via Airbnb messaging around them clearing up after their dog mess, the dog not being allowed to stay in the listing by itself etc.

As soon as the dog mess wasn't cleared up and you could smell them smoking contrary to your house rules, you could have contacted Airbnb to ask them to cancel the booking.

In your situation I would do that now rather than have them stay under two nights.

As a host you cannot let guests break your house rules for fear of a bad review. They are in the wrong. If they leave a bad review, you can respond or if it breaks Airbnb's rules for review ask for it to be removed.

GajendraSingh0
Level 2
Jodhpur, India

well my suggestion is that they already check in so time of check out check your room if there is damage ask them to pay. And in future put the billboard like pet and smoking not allowed. if we find you for having migrate owner has right to any necessary step.

By the way I love to see your 120 year old victorian home.