No reviews on guests profile

No reviews on guests profile

I just received my first inquiry, and the guest has no reviews, although she's been a member since 2014.

She also asked to confirm there was no added guest fee for 7 people (it's listed for 4).

She is requesting the for the final weekend of a huge music festival, so 7 people this weekend 

could mean high risk. 

I'm feeling like I should just decline. Can guests remove bad reviews?
Overall, I'm hesitant as I just uploaded profile two days ago.

Do we just decline based on no reviews?

Thanks so much!

6 Replies 6
Dave-and-Deb0
Level 10
Edmonton, Canada

Hi @Valarie0,

You have your place listed as having a mximum occupancy of 4 and you should tell them that only four guests are allowed to enter the listing.  The guest is reading the extra guest part wrong.  They are thinking that because it says "Extra people: No Charge", that they could bring more people than 4.  I think Airbnb needs to word this better.  I allow five people but I charge $10 per person over 2 which keeps the rate down for 2 people and increases if more than two book.  

No, guests cannot review bad reviews BUT if a guest can prove that a review did not follow their review guidelines, they could have the review removed.  

I would probably decline this inquiry and if you need to put in a reason, choose that you do not feel comfortable with the guest.  If you do pre-approve her, be firm that you only allow 4 guests max.  It might also help to ask more questions.  Just because she became a member in 2014, she could be like me where I think something is pretty cool so I sign up to try it out.

I would not automatically "decline on no reviews" as guests need to start somewhere.  It all comes down to asking the right questions and going with your gut.

Dave

David

Superhost Ambassador ~ Host Club Community Leader ~ Community Expert ~ Experienced Co-Host

Luis-and-Tati0
Level 10
New York, NY

Hi @Valarie0

Usually I don't decline if no reviews or verifications...

I will decline if I don't like the conversation or the guest intention (like your case).

In your case I would send a message warning the guest that the house is for 4 people and you may refuse the additional guest or charge a really stiff penalty for the extra guests (send a number so they know you mean business)...

I've seen some small alterations and removal of offensive reviews... I don't think they would allow the guest to simply remove the review...

Luis

Dave-and-Deb0
Level 10
Edmonton, Canada

Hello again @Valarie0,

I just took another quick look at your listing.  I think you might want to spend some time fine tuning it.  I would start with your rules.  One rule I have added quite recently for people who book for 4 and 7 show up is, "If a guest brings more than the maximum occupancy allowed (5), the reservation will be cancelled."  This was actually suggested by the Airbnb CX agent who handled a recent resolution.  I use to have, "If a guest brings more than the maximum occupancy allowed (5), each guest over will be charged $75 per night."

If you want something to start with, here are my rules:

Please read and agree to the house rules before booking the suite:
- No smoking or drugs.
- No pets.
- Quiet time after 11 pm.
- Only registered guests are allowed in the suite.
- If a guest brings more than the maximum occupancy allowed (5), the reservation will be cancelled.
- Let your host know if anything can be done to make your stay more comfortable and enjoyable!
- To prevent damage to bedding and towels, please do not do laundry that belongs to the suite. We will gladly provide replacement bedding and towels upon request.
- If you break or damage something, please let us know and arrange for its replacement or repair.
- Please, no outdoor shoes beyond entry door to suite.
- Leave the suite tidy with the dishes clean and put away. It should be left the way you found it.
- Please close and lock all windows and doors when you leave the suite.

I hope this helps @Valarie0

Dave

David

Superhost Ambassador ~ Host Club Community Leader ~ Community Expert ~ Experienced Co-Host

Thanks @Dave and Deb for the advice and time to reply. I did add some of your house rules- I hadn't realized the added fees and rules could go on the site.

I really appreciate the pointers!
Wendy-and-Markus0
Level 10
United States

@Valarie0:

You can respond with something like:

Thank you for your inquiry. Unfortunately our unit will not meet your needs. We hope you find another accommodation that will be better suited for your party of #.

All the best,

We had a guest with a profile from last year and no review. We asked if this would be their first airbnb, they responded they had used it once before, but their profile had no review. In all honesty that did make us a bit nervous. Luckily they ended up being great guests. For whatever reason, they didn't review the host and the host didn't review them.

I know you mentioned you are new, so in addition to adding the house rules that @Dave-and-Deb0 suggested, I would also recommend you add a description to your profile let guests get a sense of who you are. Personally I would add another verification or two. We personally require an offline I.D. because we feel having a phone number and email as verification are soft as both forms are easily changed. Hopefully having a more complete profile/verifications on your end will help attract the type of guest you want staying in your unit.

Thanks@Markus!
What other verifications do you suggest?

Since she didn't reply to my first message I used your decline message. It was perfect.