No show, No communication and lower rating in review

Normen0
Level 10
Canada

No show, No communication and lower rating in review

We approved a new AIRBNBer and sent a messaging inquiring about arrival time as we host in our home. We sent messages via AIRBNB, text and emails tarting two days prior to arrival date.  There was no response. She kept us waiting all day.  We had late dinner plans so eventually we went out and left a note on the door to call or text us. Spent the dinner checking my phone. She never arrived. She never cancelled and never communicated. She left a review which simply stated "Very good, thank you".  We left appropriate feedback.  Based on our stats, we know she left us four stars across the board. We have almost all five stars consistently. Is there a way to keep a no show-er from rating your services?  Yes, we did get paid but the stress of s non-communicator is not worth it. We had another non-communicator last Saturday who also didn't show. It seems most people do not read the listing clearly, as there are several things they seem (most of the time pleasantly) surprised by. 

Also, has anyone cancelled a reservation for a non-communicator? If so, what happened? I'm considered removing instant book now (which we think helped us build our profile quicker) and only approving once we get appropriate communication with estimated arrival time. Will not approving guests affect our standing in the listings for our area? 

4 Replies 4
Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

Those who do not stay are not supposed to be able to leave a review.  I think you should contact airbnb with the issue.

Thank you, they didn't cancel just no show. Is there a way to report a no-show at the time? We did get paid.  I have sent a message to AIRBNB today. I tried for weeks to try and find out how to send a message to AIRBNB.  Via the IPAD app, it just sends you in circles with no way to contact. Very frustrating. 

make sure your cancellation policy is strick. why should you be penilizied. heres the to airbnb #855-424-7262 Good luck Michelle @ SUNSET BAY

Danny9
Level 10
Palma, Spain

@Normen0

I imagine that this has been rather frustrating for you. I, too, am frequently struggling with the guests who choose to remain silent and not communicate their arrival/departure details. 

After a while, I send them a template reminding them that I do NOT live on the premises and that their failure to communicate will probably cause very serious delays of their check-in. This has helped a lot! People like to be irresponsible if they feel that there will be no price tag attached to it for THEM to pay... 

Now, I have had people cancel at the very last hour, but have never had real 'no shows'. I have always had strict cancelation policy, so not much changes really. 

If guests choose neither to cancel nor to show up, I'd see it as a small gift. You still get paid. No expenses incurred whatsoever. Well, there are worse aspects of the Airbnb hosting, when you come to think about it. 

Yup, I, too, would be reporting the guests who do not show up but rate their stay, for all the obvious reasons. 

If you find this information helpful, consider clicking the Thumbs-Up icon near lower right. Thanks!