Noisy guests

Chelle0
Level 1
Haarlem, Netherlands

Noisy guests

Hi all,

I've started hosting not so long ago and have come across my first noisy group of guests. 6 guys and 1 lady and all about mid 20s. I spoke to them last night as the neighbors complained 2 nights ago that there was noise on the balcony until 3am. Now we received another complaint from the neighbors that there was noise until 2am. My house description clearly states no parties and that it is a family friendly neighborhood. I'm planning to go and talk to the guests again. If I get another complaint about tonight, what can I do as a host? They leave Sunday morning (so have 2 more nights in the house). 

Thanks for any tips!

Michelle

18 Replies 18
Elena87
Level 10
СПБ, Russia

Tonight is Friday night, the guests have been ignoring your warnings, and you neighbours will surely be on red alert tonight.

One route is to urgently confront your guests today, perhaps even tell them as a bluff that if there is any repeat of noise after 10pm your neighbour will be involving the police. Put the ball in their court and ask them if they wish to find somewhere more suitable to stay - or adhere to the rules. You can call your neighbours in the evening or go around to check on your property too.

The other is to terminate the booking and demand that they leave today as they have been repeatedly breaking the rules, you can also call airbnb about this course of action.

Going forward, maybe you can rethink your house rules and be more presciptive eg - quiet between 10pm - 7am sort of thing.

Definitly drop your 'Please treat this as if it is your own house' - I understand the sentiment but this advice is an open goal of sorts.

Perhaps you can spend more time communicating pre-booking with potential guests to make sure your place is suitable for the type of guests. And don't forget to do something nice for you neighbour. 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

It's unfortunate that when your neighbours complained two nights ago, you didn't contact your guests straight away to remind them of your house rules rather than waiting till last night. 

You say you contacted them last night. Well they have obviously ignored your request to keep noise to a minimum and not party, by disturbing your neighbours again last night.

I do hope you made sure as well as talking to them you followed it up with a message via BNB confirming if there was another incident they would be asked to leave.

I think rather than waiting to call your guests, you need to call BNB. Let them know that your neighbours have been complaining of partying two nights in a row and that your guests ignored your request yesterday to keep the noise down and partied to the early hours and that your neighbours have been complaining.

Tell BNB you need them to cancel the booking - be firm on this. Don't cancel as someone advised or they will give you strict penalties.

BNB will then contact your guests.

Taking a party of 6 young people was always like to result in some sort of party, so be more careful of the guests you accept and talk to them about their plans before accepting any booking.

Next time you must be more prompt in your actions. It is not fair that your neighbours should suffer for two nights in a row because you are making money from letting out your property. I would make sure you apologise to your neighbours, assure them you are taking actions to get your guests removed today and make sure you send them a gift - flowers, chocolate, a food hamper - whatever you think they might like with a handwritten card of apology.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Chelle0
Level 1
Haarlem, Netherlands

I talked to the guests the day after the first complaint. I'm now going to talk to them after the second. 

What is BNB?

thanks for the tip!

Babs0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

When @Helen3 mentions BNB, she means Airbnb @Chelle0

Maybe spending some more time vetting your guests beforehand, it's clearly not suitable for 6 or more young people! Maybe also consider disabling Instant Book, so you will be able to decline requests easily.

Good luck!

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hi @Chelle0

Please call AirBNB before you talk to your guests. I am not sure why you wouldn't want to ask them to leave?

I very much doubt they will not party tonight. It's the weekend. They have partied twice and ignored your house rules and your previous call.

Please think about your neighbours and being a good neighbour yourself by not letting guests who break your house rules and disturb them stay in your place.

Yes you or your neighbours can call the police but we have a responsibility as hosts to try and manage our guests and only contact the police as a last resort - better they focus their time on stopping crimes and catching thiefs, rather than deal with issues caused by our guests - which we should try and manage.

Lilian20
Level 10
Argelès-sur-Mer, France

@Chelle0 keep doing what you are doing. Tell them to keep it quiet.

Please let other hosts know how you feel about this group when it's time to send comments.

Carmen23
Level 2
Perth, Australia

The easiest and fastest way to deal with noisey guests is Call the Police.  Explain that several people in the neighbourhood are being affected by this, not just you.  The police will have a talk to them. You may also encourage your neighbours to call the police themselves.  In most countries this is very effective as there are laws preventing loud noise after certain hour.  We in Australia abide by this and I would not hesitate to ring the authorities to complain about my own guests.

Chelle0
Level 1
Haarlem, Netherlands

Thanks all for your suggestions.

I spoke with the guests today and asked them what they think the solution is for everyone to be happy. They said they will go out and party at a bar and not in the house. I honestly think they are good people but naive about how loud their voices are. Yes, I'll do better background checks next time. Now I know why the contact person has no reviews on his profile. 

Clare0
Level 10
Templeton, CA

@Chelle0 You need to be very strict with these guests as your neighbors can report you to Airbnb through this link:

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/1293/how-do-i-file-a-complaint-if-my-neighbor-is-an-airbnb-host

These guests are not worth the money.  Call Airbnb and get rid of them.

Eileen61
Level 1
Calgary, Canada

sometimes young people simply don't know how to be a respectful guest, AirBnB aside.  I had a very nice young guy bring an overnight stranger into my home without permission late at night.  It was his first time out of his mama's house. I found out when their loud laughing and movies woke me up. and kept me up. I was pissed and extremely tired.  I banged on the door and said to keep it down and be respectful as they are in my house and that his friend either had to pay through AirBnB or go home.  It continued so I told her to get out.  I didn't see him for the rest of his reservation (3-4 more nights) or he kept a very low profile.  

Tell them to follow the rules/be respectful or hit the road. If they have some sense, they will fear getting a poor review from you. 
You can also tell them about neighbour's complaints, community rules, etc. if you want to remove yourself from it.  

Lois-and-Darryl0
Level 10
Rochester, WA

@Chelle0:  I'm sorry about your experience, and must disagree about calling the police.  This is your very last resort after a crime has been committed.  They are not criminals - yet, and you are sure to receive a terribly negative review on AirBnb is you sick the police on them.  You are the Host and will need to learn how to manage your Guests - the best way, is in advance BEFORE you book with them.  If you have Instant Book - turn it off.  Instant Book is the sure-fire way to have partiers.  Make sure above all else, that you keep your neighbors happy; they would be the influence that could end your little Airbnb business, not the Guests that are disrepecting you.  Spend time getting to know your prospective Guests before you book.  Find out why they are visiting the area; if they are truly visiting, they should have a plan, and not just "Would like a place to relax."  That's code for "Need a place to party so my own house won't get torn up."  I 100 percent agree with everything that Helen has written to you.  Good Luck!  Lois & Darryl

Sandra590
Level 1
Glasgow, United Kingdom

Two guests arrived yesterday.  Seemed very nice.  At 5 this morning they came home, drunk Im guessing, in the shower shrieking and laughing,  then proceeded to have noisy sex for two hours.  The headboard will never be the same.  Not only kept me up, neighbours complained about adjoining wall and the noise.  It's 1pm and they are sleeping it off.  What are my options to get them out my house?  My neighbour will go mental if it happens tonight?

I feel like Airbnb does not provide us with options to handle these situations.  I had a young couple keep me up until 4 this morning - laughing talking slamming doors. This was their first Airbnb stay. I was very clear this was not accpetable behavior when I spoke with them this morning. I did not intervene during the night as I did not want to escalate the situation and further disturb my other guests.  My quiet hours are stated in rules - I am going to post in each room from now on

Remove them and tell them that you are an AirBnB and not a motel room. They need to be aware that AirBnB is a different platform and culture of accommodation.This is why they get better deals. I have had an influx of 0 reviewed guests and for the most part they are good, but every now and then we have had ones that just don't understand the difference. They get bad reviews. Before, I used to be more relaxed and tolerant when doing reviews, but honesty is the best policy to forewarn future hosts. Anytime I see less than 5 star ratings for guests-I question them and if I see 3 stars-3 and a half stars-they are not staying at my home.