Noisy host

Deirdre110
Level 2
Adelaide, Australia

Noisy host

am currently a guest for 5 weeks in Lausanne . On my first night the 20 year old daughter had a party with no adult supervision . The family come and go all night between 12.00 and 3 am . The kitchen is above my room and the constant noise disturbs my sleep . I asked the host if she wouldn’t mind toning this noise down . She says that I am over sensitive and no one has complained before . She won’t refund or change my booking and continues to make noise . What do I do. Who at Airbnb can I contact who will take action

8 Replies 8
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Deirdre110 

This is a  "long term stay" reservation, so not easy to cancel or shorten without loosing lot of money.

So the issue of noise must be addressed to the host first, which you already did.

The response of the host is very unprofessional: 

"She says that I am over sensitive and no one has complained before"

Next step is to inform Airbnb about it and ask for a solution or relocation.

Airbnb Help: contact (EN)

or

Contact Airbnb - Community Guide [Updated]

@Deirdre110  Are you renting a private room in a shared home, or a self-contained unit (Entire Home listing) in which the hosts are having their party in a separate household?

If the former is the case, you would have a pretty strong basis to have the remainder of your stay refunded  directly from Airbnb due to a high Covid risk scenario. You absolutely shouldn't be subjected to a house full of people sharing common areas you must traverse, if the listing wasn't advertised as a party venue. 

If the latter is the case - you have your own entrance and share no indoor common areas with the host - you'll most likely have to negotiate the solution. If you want to leave early for any reason, follow the procedure detailed here to request a change of the checkout date: https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/913/how-do-i-change-a-reservation-for-a-place-to-stay

The host would have to approve any changes made here in order for you to receive any kind of partial refund for the unused nights. If they decline, you could escalate the case to Airbnb, but I can't say for certain that whichever outsourced operator you get would consider one night of noise on your first night to be a Travel Issue that encompasses your entire booking. 

Re: the "20 year old with no adult supervision" -  a 20 year old is legally an adult in Switzerland, so this is not a point worth advancing.

Helen350
Level 10
Whitehaven, United Kingdom

I'm surprised you need to ask for advice @Deirdre110 !

I see from your profile page that you had a similar experience (also) in Lausanne this time last year, and left early, leaving a host who did not recommend you as a guest because of your constant complaining.....

Is it possible you have unrealistic expectations of Airbnb?  - That many are ordinary (shared) homes, not hotel equivalents? Or might it be good to do your research more thoroughly before booking, and have a thorough online chat with the host prior to booking to ensure a better fit? - Just a thought... 🙂

Oh, and 20 year olds are adults throughout Europe, and would die at the thought of 'adult supervision!  (18 is the age of majority; 16 in Scotland!)

@Anonymous @Emiel1 

Hi @Helen350  ,

it is so dead boring in these times of lockdown that I don't know what to do all day long. In oder to kill time I locked up @Deirdre110  's  december 2019 stay in Lousanne. Here's what she wrote about her place one year ago:

2020-12-31 Review Dedre Lousanne.jpg

And here's what her host wrote about her

2020-12-31 Review für Deidre.jpg

While we all don't know what the situation actually was on site, I don't understand why she's asking „what do I do?“. Well, she can do the same thing she already did a year ago: Leave and request a full refund.

-------------

Ok, 15 minutes killed. What am I gonna do now?

@Ute42 I have just the thing for you! Here's a video game made in Berlin that has Ute written all over it: https://youtu.be/L72h4P-5QK8

@Anonymous 

Perfect - a Youtube No-tutorial.

Thank You - Thank You - Thank You.

Helen350
Level 10
Whitehaven, United Kingdom

Genau @Ute42 ! - Andere Laender, andere Sitten!

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Ute42 Have you ever played a game of tennis in Orlando in 80 degree heat?