Non-Canceled Covid Scam **

John6225
Level 1
Dripping Springs, TX

Non-Canceled Covid Scam **

Be careful AirbNb community!   I just learned a hard $5,000 lesson.   Before Covid i had booked a week in Paris for June 2020.   When the world shut down, the host asked me not to cancel the reservation and said he would honor it for the following summer.  I agreed.... it seemed fair and everyone needed a little financial grace.  Summer 2021 rolls around and France is still shut down.   We both agree to push the reservation to June 2022.  (All confirmed conversations in writing on the Airbnb platform).   I started last September after i rebooked my flights to nail down the exact dates for my stay.   The host said:  "It is a bit early but you are sure to have your place."      I've been contacting the host regularly, via email, Airbnb, telephone for since then.   No reply.    

I've engaged the Airbnb "help" team to try to resolve the matter.... originally i just wanted to confirm my dates... then i just want a refund.    It has taken so long that i've had to book different accommodations at great expense.  Still no answer from the host.. and Airbnb told me today:   "Our review is complete and we won’t be able to offer additional support on this case at this time."

Moral of the story... Dont trust ** who rents this apartment:**

Also, don't trust Airbnb to help you after **steals your money. 

**[Content removed in line with the Community Center Guidelines]

4 Replies 4
Flavia202
Level 10
Kingston, Jamaica

Maybe he died, @John6225 . Very strange that he would just stop communicating with you when he was doing so all along?. Surely all his great reviews couldn't be fake? There seems more to this mysterious silence from Alexis and it's a pity that Airbnb CS wasn't much help.  Thanks for sharing.

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@John6225 I guess when guests/hosts do private side deals it is hard for Airbnb to then apply their rules when said deal goes wrong. It is disgusting that, having helped this host, he then let you down. I wonder if you could make a small claims court case against the host. The biggest problem is that you need his address but if you have this then it seems likely that you will succeed. Perhaps start by warning the host this is the route you are taking and that if he doesn't refund your money he will become liable for court costs on top of the rental costs.

John6225
Level 1
Dripping Springs, TX

UPDATE and Background.  @Mike-And-Jane0  @Flavia202 

Recap... i booked and paid in total ($5700) for a 7 night stay in Paris in June 2020.  Covid came... host asked me not to cancel... i said "sure, lets move the reservation to 2021".. Host:  "no problem".    2021 rolls around... France is still locked down.    Talk to host again and Host says:  'No problem, June 2022 is good.'     AND, I talk to Airbnb just to confirm and get some assurances, because i was worried about the "completed" stay on my account.    

Airbnb Support on a message dated June 5, 2021 says:  "Hi John, this is Jaydee again from Airbnb. I am following up to make sure that you received the message and email that I sent you.

I was able to confirm that you are planning to move your trip next year (June 2022), and the host responded that he is okay with it. I know that your reservation is already marked as done but in this case, you can use the statement from the host that he is okay if you reschedule your trip next year as a confirmation that he will still accommodate you because there is nothing we can do to change the status of your reservation but of course, it is still considered as paid and you will still be accommodated by the host.

You may also take note of this reference number ###############, so that in case you encounter an issue with the host about your agreement with him, you may contact us and provide the reference number, so that we can help you."

This message gave me confidence that the Host wasn't going to try and take my money and all would be good.  I had Airbnb on my side and they confirmed that i was going to have my reservation in Paris for June 2022.  Nothing to worry about....  not so fast.  

September 2021 after i get my flights to Paris, i reach out to host to confirm dates.  He says:  "A bit early, but you'll have a place in June".   In February 2022 after multiple months trying to reach the host to confirm/verify dates, i finally get back with Airbnb "Support".    They give me the run around for a few months.   

Finally, Airbnb told me on May 10, 2022 that:  "We’ve given your case and its details careful consideration and we determined that no further actions should be taken.  We understand that this might not be what you’d hoped for, but we came to this outcome because the reservation in question had passed and been inactive for years now, we can no longer alter or cancel on our end.  Our review is complete now, and we won’t be able to offer additional support on this case at this time."

After this 'go away and dont bother us anymore' message from Airbnb "support", I reached out to someone I know in at Airbnb and a "Friends/Family/Airbnb Contact" support ticket was created.  (Basically, i pulled a string through a personal contact and got this kicked up to a different level.)   Within a day, my issue is magically solved.   The host contacted me and apologized for disappearing for a year.   His "team" simply didn't let him know i had an issue.   After a bit more back and forth and effort... i was able to get the Host to initiate a full refund.    Thank goodness.  

Airbnb continued to hide behind "protocol" that they could not do anything to help me if the host didn't agree.  It was only after the friends / family / contact ticket was created, that the host magically shows back up and finally agrees to a refund.   

If I hadn't known someone, i'd still be out $5700.   What happens to the Airbnb travelers who don't know someone?  

I'm still out considerable time and money (rebook at a different place at more of a last minute price), and still contemplating my options to recover that.  

Lesson learned.   

Flavia202
Level 10
Kingston, Jamaica

Oh, wow, @John6225 . What a trip! So the host was really dodging (not dead)! Glad you had links (as we say in Jamaica) and that you got some of your money back, at least. As for Airbnb "Support", very shoddy. 

When you rebooked at the different place, did you use Airbnb or have you given up on them?