Non-Refundable Booking Option. Is it worthwhile?

Larry339
Level 10
Brant, Canada

Non-Refundable Booking Option. Is it worthwhile?

I make available the non-refundable 10% discount booking option, and about 30% of my guests choose this option. From a guest's point of view, they get an extra 10% off the booking price, and as a host, except for extenuating circumstances, we keep the payout if they cancel. I find that shorter-term bookings closer to the date of arrival choose this more often than guests booking extended stays.

Since I have never had a guest cancel to date, the benefit for me does not appear obvious. Am I just throwing away the 10% revenue discount?  I do wonder if the non-refundable option attracts more bookings, but how does one determine that, especially since I have no comparison to previous years and have only hosted for six months.

I would appreciate feedback on your experience with this option.

8 Replies 8
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Larry339  As you said, you haven't had guests cancel, so there's no advantage to you. And I have read several posts here from hosts who said guests were able to get Airbnb to overide that "non-refundable" booking, so they got refunded anyway. As long as Airbnb is so guest-centric in passing out refunds for the "extenuating circumstances" that guests manage to come up with, this policy has zero advantage to the host, IMO.

Airbnb does indicate that hosts using this option in the pilot did increase revenue by 5%. However, it is hard to compare. Thanks for your message.

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

>>Am I just throwing away the 10% revenue discount?<<

The carrot hasn't made me want to change, @Larry339. You'd need the odd cancellation here and there to make it pay for 
itself and, from what your experience has been, it doesn't seem to happen.

The lack of cancellations has made me rethink this option.

Susan17
Level 10
Dublin, Ireland

The Extenuating Circumstances policy trumps the Non-refundable policy, making it completely worthless. 

@Susan17 Sort and succinct well said!

Larry339
Level 10
Brant, Canada

@Susan17 Thank you, it does seem that the idea behind it may not work they way we think it should.

Mikki0
Level 10
Long Beach, CA

Extenuating circumstances aside, I decided to try this feature now while everything is slow. 

I chose Strict with Non Refundable option. I also have last minute booking discounts.

I know that potential guests don't see the actual discounts stated when searching for reservations, they just see the prices of their search criteria. 

What I have observed though is that anyone booking last minute knows the chance of them canceling their reservation is extremely slim. Getting the 10% discount seems unfair to the hosts. Does anyone know if there is a timeframe the non refundable offer is good? EDIT: I see now that they can get this discount for bookings 14 days out from the reservation.

My last booking seemed to be able to take advantage of Non Refundable 10%, and also last minute discounts.