Non US Citizen, No Listing in the US - required to fill out taxpayers info

Agon38
Level 2
Koblenz, Germany

Non US Citizen, No Listing in the US - required to fill out taxpayers info

Hi all,

I need clarification with the latest Airbnb Request of Taxpayers info Needed by Dec 1 Email. I'm super confused.

I'm a non-US Citizen, I don't have a listing in the US (and never had), I've never stepped foot in the US, and am required to fill in the forms. The only thing I have is a Payoneer account in USD as currency for my payouts. I have chosen this way back, as being from Kosovo there were no possibilities for other payout methods with local banks or even Airbnb options.

I tried to explain it to Airbnb support, but they told me that W-8BEN is the form for me. Still don't understand why I should fill them.

Any help or explanation is very welcome.

Thank you.

Agon

5 Replies 5
Patricia3972
Level 1
High Point, NC

Hi 

Did you get any info about this , I am in the same boat? 

Hi @Patricia3972 ,

No I didn't. I was kindly forced to sign the form or else receive no payouts.

Dear Agon, 

Is this still the case? It's strange since we (noncitizens, nonresidents) should be exempt from filing this unless we have a US listing. Has Airbnb clarified further anything?

I found this helpful article, https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/3166#:~:text=If%20you%20are%20a%20non,receive%20payouts%20from%2.... mentioning:

Note that not every non-US individual who hosts will be prompted to provide Forms W-8BEN or Form W-8ECI. Generally speaking, Airbnb will request these forms from non-US individuals who host with certain indicia of US tax status, including, but not limited to:

• Having one or more US listings (applicable to listing owners)
  • Instructing Airbnb to make a payout to a US bank account
  • Providing Airbnb a US telephone number for contact purposes
  • Providing Airbnb a US residence or mailing address
  • Other certain indicia of US status (ex: uploading US government-issued identification) 

Hi,

I used a virtual bank and my card used USD. Therefore, I had to sign it as there was no other way.