Non-US Resident Alien (Living Outside of US) having US Listings registered as hotels: How to avoid the 35% Withholding Tax

Miguel1582
Level 1
United States

Non-US Resident Alien (Living Outside of US) having US Listings registered as hotels: How to avoid the 35% Withholding Tax

Hello Everybody

I have many US based listings published on my profile. All this listings are part of the Marriott Vacation Club, which means I am an owner and that entitles me to spend a week every year in such properties. Sometimes when I cannot use my points for my holiday I sell them through Airbnb.  Starting 2022, a 35% withholding is being made for every reservation so I am not happy with that and I am looking for ways to either prevent Airbnb from withholding or to promote a payback from the IRS.

What I've tried so far is the following:

0. I had the W8-BEN form filled out but starting 2022 it no longer works for the purpose.

1. Fill the W8-ECI form, but in order to do that, I need an ITIN which I haven´t been able to get because I need a letter signed by Airbnb and unfortunately, they say that under no circumstance they will issue that or any letter.

2. I learned about the 14-day rule, which most certainly work for me because I rent for less than 14 days for sure. But I have no clue if that rule applies to my case, being a Non-US resident Alien, renting hotel rooms registered within the US.

2a. Can someone help me telling me if the 14-day rule applies to my case?

2b. Can someone tell me what and how I need to do things in order to recover what Airbnb is withholding?

- Does someone know how to stop Airbnb from withholding the 35%? Or how to make the withholdings smaller?

- Having no deductions whatsoever, does someone know of a way in which I could recover at least some of the withholdings?

Accute answers and any other ideas to achieve the purpose will be greatly appreciated!!!

Thank you all!

2 Replies 2
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Miguel1582 I would use another site to sell your timeshare weeks

Hello Mike, Jane

I could also try to publish listings in another country were tax restrictions are different from the US.

Does anyone know of a country that does not withhold from Airbnb? Or a country that withholds smaller percentages?

Thanks!