Non-airbnb owner wants to lease through airbnb? Scam?

Answered!

Non-airbnb owner wants to lease through airbnb? Scam?

I found an apartment on another website. However the owner claims they have moved to another state and would prefer to handle the lease through Airbnb. I have used Airbnb with friends on vacation but was unaware that Airbnb did long term leases like this? The owner has emailed me with details of the process and information he'll need from me: 

"I'm ready to make all arrangements for inspection, but now I live in North Dakota and it will be a little difficult to meet you personally so to make the rental process easier for both of us I would like to use Airbnb. Through them we can arrange the inspection and also they will provide assistance in handling the payments and rental contract. However, I hope this will not change your intentions to rent my apartment as I am not able to travel to meet with every potential tenant. I'm paying their charges so there will be no extra costs for you.

In order to make a reservation I will need your contact information (name, address, phone number) and a copy of your ID or passport. The Airbnb agent will require you to show the Passport or National ID in original when you inspect the property. The copy is needed in order to fill in your contract. Once I register the transaction with Airbnb, you will receive a notification message from them containing a receipt with all information about rental, along with payment instructions to secure the booking. The payment is a simple formality and by paying you are not obliged to rent the apartment. After you make the payment deposit to Airbnb, you will be contacted by an Airbnb agent to agree on a suitable date and time to view the property.
- If you are completely satisfied with the property, all you have to do is sign the lease and receive the keys to the house. A copy of the contract will remain with you, one at the agency and one copy will be given to me with the first month of rental and security deposit.
- If for any reason you will not be happy with the property, the Airbnb agent will return your deposit immediately. Reimbursement will be made by bank transfer or cash on the spot. In this case, the transaction is terminated without additional obligations for the Tenant or Landlord.

To make a thing clear, the first rent of month and the security bond are required from the beginning so I hope this will not be a problem for you. The lease will start from the date when you move in and the next month will be due on the same date of the following month. If you are linked to another contract and you can not move immediately, we can arrange the inspection now and I can keep the apartment reserved until you are available to move around.
If you have any other questions, I would like to respond with pleasure."

I this legitimate or should I be concerned?

1 Best Answer
Steve143
Level 10
Limerick, Ireland

Hello @Ivy23,

As has been said, it's a scam. It's a form email reported many times on this forum.

There's only one way to rent through Airbnb and that is

the host puts their listing on the site

guests see it there

they book and pay, by credit card, through the Airbnb website.

The whole process on Airbnb is driven by you, the guest. You see, you book and you pay all through Airbnb. The only way you pay Airbnb for renting is by them deducting it from the credit card that's registered with your Airbnb account.

This host is trying to portray Airbnb as a letting agency. It is not. Airbnb doesn't have agents and doesn't meet any guests.

Were you to follow their instructions you'd end up paying money to the host's personal bank account. You'd never see either the money or accommodation and you'd get no help from Airbnb as they would never have been involved, despite the host's claims to the contrary.

Steve.

View Best Answer in original post

3 Replies 3
David126
Level 10
Como, CO

Scam

David
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

It's clearly a scam.

Avoid.

Steve143
Level 10
Limerick, Ireland

Hello @Ivy23,

As has been said, it's a scam. It's a form email reported many times on this forum.

There's only one way to rent through Airbnb and that is

the host puts their listing on the site

guests see it there

they book and pay, by credit card, through the Airbnb website.

The whole process on Airbnb is driven by you, the guest. You see, you book and you pay all through Airbnb. The only way you pay Airbnb for renting is by them deducting it from the credit card that's registered with your Airbnb account.

This host is trying to portray Airbnb as a letting agency. It is not. Airbnb doesn't have agents and doesn't meet any guests.

Were you to follow their instructions you'd end up paying money to the host's personal bank account. You'd never see either the money or accommodation and you'd get no help from Airbnb as they would never have been involved, despite the host's claims to the contrary.

Steve.