Not accepting children or pets

Answered!
Ann32229
Level 2
Driffield, United Kingdom

Not accepting children or pets

Our settings are for no children under 12 or pets. Yet people are searching for properties which accept children and pets, and our property is coming up in their search. They are even making bookings. How can I stop this? Thank you.

1 Best Answer
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

I have similar restrictions and rarely have people inquiring who have children/pets so not quite sure why this is happening to you @Ann32229 

Do you make it clear up front in your listing description that your place is not suitable for children/pets.

Do you use IB, if so perhaps restrict to only those with positive reviews and have everyone request to try and help weed out those with unsuitable bookings.

View Best Answer in original post

14 Replies 14
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

I have similar restrictions and rarely have people inquiring who have children/pets so not quite sure why this is happening to you @Ann32229 

Do you make it clear up front in your listing description that your place is not suitable for children/pets.

Do you use IB, if so perhaps restrict to only those with positive reviews and have everyone request to try and help weed out those with unsuitable bookings.

Ann32229
Level 2

Thank you @Helen3  I'm a newbie so I can't understand how they are able to book when we have our settings as no children! Thank you for your advice, I will make it clearer in the listing description and check my IB settings. 

Ann32229
Level 2

@Genevieve277 

We had a no children setting and we still got a booking request with children.

I read another thread where someone mentioned that Airbnb leave it to the hosts to check who is coming prior to accepting a booking. If you have instant booking on, you might be in trouble.

The search engines let them search for properties which don't accept children, even though they have children!

If you want to accept children, you could add it in the 'additional rules' that parents/guardians must take full responsibility for their children at all times. (I'm in the UK, but you might need to check if this is acceptable in the US.)

Also, when you message them before accepting their booking (to check who is coming), you could add that sentence in, and ask them to confirm that they agree to it prior to you accepting them.

Hi everyone, Id really like some help with an issue Im experiencing.

Our property has 3 house on it. 2 are guest rentals and the 3rd is our permanent home. We are perched on the edge of a hill with very high, unfenced rerptaining walls around us and we have recently installed a pool also with no fencing. It would ruin the views. Because of these safety issues, we have been promoting our guest houses for adults only. We think kids are great but our property is not appropriate for kids. But we have recently had to refuse over €8000 in booking because people dont seem to read our listings, which states that we dont accept kids due to safety concerns. We hate refusing people. Any advice would be fabulous!

Kate867
Level 10
Canterbury, United Kingdom

@Genevieve277   Your listings look lovely and I understand how you feel with regards to the views.  However, those unfenced steep drops are going to be a safety issue not only for children but also for older guests once you put alcohol and many other reasons such as someone stepping backwards, tripping etc into the ‘equation’. It is similar to having a ‘balcony without railings’. Perhaps you should consider putting in a waist high ornamental fence of some description.  This will allow you to Host a larger variety of guests.  In the meantime, I would make it both prominently and absolutely clear in your listings that your properties are not suitable for children due to these issues.

Many thanks Kate. The areas of concern are not spaces that your average adult would venture into but kids might! You may not be able to see the fencing around our terrazzo because its made of very fine wire but its also very secure and safe. We wont be putting fencing around the pool unless it becomes an issue and it probably wont. We are really happy with the guests we have hosted and dont really want to change the dynamic. I really just want to know how and where everyone notes on their listing that the property isnt appropriate for kids. 

@Genevieve277  @Ann32229   I have it as noted in the screenshot below, and I rarely get requests from people with children.  However, I also have a two-guest limit, and I suspect that's the real reason so few people try to get past this rule.  You might have to consider turning off InstantBook and take requests only.

Screen Shot 2022-04-23 at 6.50.25 AM.png

Thats exactly what I was looking for!

Thanks so much!

@Ann72 This is a good idea to put it in House Rules!  I always ask guests to confirm they have read and agree with the house rules as checking “ not suitable for children 2-12” doesn’t deter them from booking. 
thx! 

Bethany195
Level 4
Albuquerque, NM

I am having the same issue. I still show up in searches that include pets even though I have a no pets policy. I messaged support.

Nanxing0
Level 10
Haverford, PA

I have no pet settings, but I keep getting requests to bring pets... Most recent one was just 2 days ago. It's quite frustrating.

Willie-And-Katie0
Level 2
Gig Harbor, WA

I’m a host and recently had a guest bring their dog along when we have a no pet policy. Guest didn’t bother to tell me and just expected it would be ok! It’s a service dog but a have a no pet policy, Airbnb says it’s discrimination to kick them out…? 
be aware that even if you have a no pet policy if someone has a service animal or three they don’t have to tell you not will Airbnb help you

@Willie-And-Katie0 

When I accept a booking, I ask them to let me know if they have a service animal. It's not happened yet, but at least if they tell us we can be prepared.

Airbnb let you ask certain questions about how the service animal supports the owner, and there are criteria that the animal must follow, eg not be left on its own. So this way you can check that it is a service animal and not an emotional support dog or just a pet.

It is most definitely not discrimination if having having a guest's pet on your property affects your business!

We had a guest a few years ago who asked me where and how our linens are laundered and stored as she was so badly allergic to cats and dogs.

We dont allow our 3 cats and dog into our guests houses to protect our guests with allergies. So we never allow a guest to bring a pet with them. We are not discriminiating against anyone! We are protecting future guests and our business.