Not child friendly

Answered!
Trees5
Level 2
Brading, United Kingdom

Not child friendly

My listing is not child or pet friendly. Guest turned up yesterday with a child. What can I do? 

1 Best Answer

@Trees5   You can refuse entry on the basis of unregistered/unapproved guests, especially the head count goes over your occupancy limits. But this level of screening isn't compatible with self-check-in. It's a lot more complicated to evict a guest once the stay is in progress than to refuse entry. And either way, you forfeit your payout.

This guest does not sound on the up-and-up - it's not normal for a parent to go to such lengths to hide their own child. I do recommend being in contact with the guest to make it known that you're aware of the child being in the home - one way to present it would be to insist that the guest accept a booking alteration to update the number of people in the booking (for insurance purposes, yadda yada). If you witness anything that raises concerns about the child's welfare, notify the appropriate authorities of course - underhanded guests should always keep you on high alert, even if the likelier explanation is something benign. 

Where is the child sleeping? Well, from hosting a homestay I can tell you that I've seen just about every possible combination of two family members, all ages and genders, choosing to share a bed and seeming perfectly comfortable with it.

View Best Answer in original post

5 Replies 5

@Trees5  If this happened yesterday, presumably that means the guests have already checked in and are currently occupying the home?

In this case, the only thing you can really do is advise the adult guest of any potential safety precautions that are relevant to the child's age and mobility.  In your review, you might mention that the guest brought a child despite your House Rules stating it was unsuitable for kids. But be mindful of the fact that while the Nondiscrimination Policy allows hosts to describe features that make the home unsafe for children, it prohibits discriminating based on age and family status.

@Anonymous  "...where prohibited by law"

Trees5
Level 2
Brading, United Kingdom

Thanks @Anonymous  the thing is I only have a double bed in there as it’s a summerhouse so goodness knows where the child is sleeping! Airbnb is great most of the time, but if something really isn’t suitable for children/pets we as hosts should be able to say & if they turn up, then should be able to refuse entry. However he has been underhand & not declared his child & parked away from the house so I didn’t see. 

@Trees5   You can refuse entry on the basis of unregistered/unapproved guests, especially the head count goes over your occupancy limits. But this level of screening isn't compatible with self-check-in. It's a lot more complicated to evict a guest once the stay is in progress than to refuse entry. And either way, you forfeit your payout.

This guest does not sound on the up-and-up - it's not normal for a parent to go to such lengths to hide their own child. I do recommend being in contact with the guest to make it known that you're aware of the child being in the home - one way to present it would be to insist that the guest accept a booking alteration to update the number of people in the booking (for insurance purposes, yadda yada). If you witness anything that raises concerns about the child's welfare, notify the appropriate authorities of course - underhanded guests should always keep you on high alert, even if the likelier explanation is something benign. 

Where is the child sleeping? Well, from hosting a homestay I can tell you that I've seen just about every possible combination of two family members, all ages and genders, choosing to share a bed and seeming perfectly comfortable with it.

Trees5
Level 2
Brading, United Kingdom

I have just spoken to them & they have a 1.5 yr old. They had been booked with someone else who cancelled. They are quite happy sharing & their child was very talkative & happy so I have no concerns there. I did explain about the cleaning products in the bathroom & they have assured me the little one won’t touch them & the door was closed - good sign. I think I’ll just have to leave it there, I’ve made them aware that it’s originally intended for couples not children. Thank you for your input 🙂