Not reviewing a guest.

Answered!
Sandra160
Level 2
Clonegall, Ireland

Not reviewing a guest.

I recently had a party of guests who abused my hospitality. 

If I do not review them will that have any implications for my status as a superhost?  (Would it affect my communications rating ?)

1 Best Answer
Clare0
Level 10
Templeton, CA

@Sandra160, no, not leaving a review will not affect your rating for Super Host status, but why wouldn't you leave a review of your experience with these guests? Airbnb is built on trust and both guests and hosts need to leave a review.  If your guest was indeed a bad apple, not leaving a review is tantamount to passing the buck to another host who relies on previous reviews when making a decision on whether to accept them or not. 

I would encourage you to leave a review...short and to the point, one or two sentences max.  

View Best Answer in original post

11 Replies 11
Clare0
Level 10
Templeton, CA

@Sandra160, no, not leaving a review will not affect your rating for Super Host status, but why wouldn't you leave a review of your experience with these guests? Airbnb is built on trust and both guests and hosts need to leave a review.  If your guest was indeed a bad apple, not leaving a review is tantamount to passing the buck to another host who relies on previous reviews when making a decision on whether to accept them or not. 

I would encourage you to leave a review...short and to the point, one or two sentences max.  

Took your advice and gave a short but very negative review.

Saw they had 6 previous reviews, all positive, but all were "One liners".

In future I will be declining bookings from guests with a series of one line reviews!

Many thanks

Sandr

I had a bad experience with a group of guests and wondered how to review them. I was just pleased when they left! I'd noticed that hosts who give bad reviews of guests tend to keep them short, so I opted for 2 stars overall and 'Chaotic' as the comment. 

Amaris0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

I would add that even if you don't review the guest, they may still review you and you have no way of knowing what they will say or what star ratings they will give you until it is public. So although your review of these guests will not have an impact on your ratings, their review could. It's best to just write a simple but true review of your experience, maybe if someone else had done so, you might not have approved their request.

BW, Ama

I followed your advice

Many thanks

Sandra

Gretchen0
Level 6
Oregon City, OR

The communication rating has to do with how easy or difficult you are to contact and reply back to your guests, while they are staying at your residence. Not your review.

Please leave an honest review of your guests. It helps all of the hosts decide whether or not to allow these strangers into our homes. If someone had previously
reviewed the guests you had problems with and left comments with this same issues, you could have declined their request and not had this bad experience. Don't be shy about declining, either. It's your choice, your home, your personal safety and sanity!

Took your advice and left a negative review.

Noticed that their previous reviews were positive but were all "one liners"

In future will decline guests wit a series of one line reviews

Many thanks

Sandra

Alyce1
Level 1
San Francisco, CA

You cannot be super host if you have number of reviews less than one half number of stays. So not reviewing as a policy for dealing with not great guests works against you.
Amy338
Level 2
Waco, TX

I just had a similar situation. Our guest didn’t follow our rules and brought extra guests. When she left, she sent a message about how happy and thankful she was. Then I sent her a $$ request for her extra guests. She immediately messaged me in a hostile way and soon after that she completed her review of our place. Because she got so mean over me catching her bringing extra guests, I’m sure her review right after would  also be negative. I don’t want to review her because then her negativity will be on my page. The fact she didn’t get away with these issues seemed to really surprise her. I believe this will make her much more careful with future stays. Most of our guests are honest and wonderful! Just a few are not welcome back.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Amy338   " I don’t want to review her because then her negativity will be on my page." 

NO! This is not how reviews work. The guest's review will be published and appear on your profile and listing regardless of whether you leave a review or not. ALL REVIEWS ARE PUBLISHED. You cannot avoid a bad review by not leaving a review yourself.

Please review all your guests. You do your fellow hosts a serious disservice by not warning them of bad guest behavior.

Why did you not call her out on the extra guests during her stay and make her pay for them right there and then or tell the extras they have to leave? Trying to charge her after the fact makes no sense- she will just refuse to pay. 

You are right. I am going to finish her review because I misunderstood that thinking hers would only be published if I wrote hers. She only had extra guests her second night and I charged her as soon as I saw the video of them not leaving that night. She did pay even though she was angry about it.