Not so Bad After All

Shaun350
Level 2
Enoch, UT

Not so Bad After All

I received a phone call last night. The new guest let me know that water was on the floor in the kitchen and that a pipe had broke.  After having two house fires already, my mind started racing.

Luckily, the home is next door. I purchased the home in June of this year. I had a plumber come in and "clean up" what was under the sink so that I wouldn't have any problems.

The supply line to the faucet popped out of the valve and the water started coming out with a force that sent water all over the kitchen and hall.  Luckily, the guest got under the sink and turned valve off.  He was soaked!!!

I was able to get the mess cleaned up and hopefully it will dry without lifting the LVP.

The guest was very patient.

The plumber that installed the new lines came this morning.  He said he has never seen that happen.  I'm getting used to those words.

What was bad and could have been a lot worse wasn't too bad after all.

3 Replies 3
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Shaun350 we had a similar situation this summer when a mains water pipe drain valve opened itself behind the washing machine flooding the kitchen. I was on a speeding awareness course at the time but managed to pass a note to the guest saying where the stop tap was. 

Thankfully even with this chaos the guest left a 5 star review.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Shaun350  My daughter (not a host) recently woke up in the morning to find a flood on her kitchen floor, which had also leaked through to the basement. The floors are ruined and it soaked support beams underneath, which will also need to be replaced.

All this happened because an appliance technician hadn't hooked up the water dispenser in the fridge properly and water was pouring out all night. 

I have learned to do many repair and installation jobs myself,  because it seems you have to stand over everyone these days to make sure they don't screw something up. In which case, I might as well do the job myself.

M199
Level 10
South Bruce Peninsula, Canada

@Shaun350 

Maybe get him a little gift before he checks out.  He'll feel much appreciated.  Lol, maybe a set of towels.  He'll not likely forget his stay.