Notice of Violation: City of Huntington Beach, CA

Stephen93
Level 1
Huntington Beach, CA

Notice of Violation: City of Huntington Beach, CA

Anyone else in Huntington Beach receive a letter from the city stating short term rentals of less than 30 days is prohibited? 

I received this about two weeks ago and now have been sent a violation notice. Any suggestions?

I have never rented out the entire home, just a room, and always while I am present. 

Thanks

25 Replies 25
Thuy8
Level 1
San Jose, CA

Hi

i am new to airbnb

any updates on Huntington Beach policy regarding airbnb?

are we allowed to continue? Are we supposed to file tax with city of HB?  

Short term rental is on the agenda for next Monday Feb 5th 2018

https://www.huntingtonbeachca.gov/residents/calendar/calendar_event.cfm?ID=14234

Hmm. I recently made the decision to set up a separate entrance and air bnb rent a nice fully contained Master Suite at my house in north HB not far from the Harbour. I was bummed to see that this is prohibited by the City...

When I did my research to see what kind of price range to ask I see there are a LOT of active listings in our City. I'm curious why/how these are 'getting away' with doing this: does the City not enforce the code? Perhaps it depends if your neighbors protest (or not). I have offstreet parking that I can offer in my driveway and I am not planning to rent it out more than 8 or 10 nights a month (primarily weekends) and I do plan to be VERY discerning in my screening. I know all my neighbors quite well and rather doubt that any would protest or 'turn me in'. But then again...I would rather follow the rules than try to 'get away with'...as that behavior usually bites me in the rear in some way or another...

Did anyone go to council and hear the outcome of this on Monday? 

Rick-and-Celeste0
Level 2
Los Angeles, CA

This issue was removed from the Feb 5 City Council meeting in order for more research to be done.

Please see my response above regarding my experience with the city.

We really need Airbnb hosts and guests to lobby, educate and inform the city council and our fellow citizens about what Airbnb really is all about. We also need to put pressure on those hosts who are abusing the trust and spirit of both Airbnb and our Huntington Beach community. This is yet another example of a few "bad apples" spoiling the whole. It is unacceptable and unessesary for a host to be disrespectful of their neighbors and neighborhood in a quest for cash. It's disturbing to know that some hosts do not act like hosts at all but rather they embody the worst aspects of an indifferent landlord. Read the Airbnb guidlines for hosting and you'll immediately see that is not the intent, policy or culture Airbnb promotes. Sadly there will always be some who disregard policy and instead make their own. Those are the few who are ruining the home-sharing community.

What do you mean by “the issue was removed?” Are short term rentals allowed for the time being?

thanks in advance

So, it´s allowed from now on? Thanks 

John1501
Level 1
Huntington Beach, CA

Any updates here guys?  

Ava35
Level 2
Miami, FL

WHAT IS THE status with people who have received notices? How are there still like 127+ up to 300 listings in the HB area and what EXACTLY happened with all of these people here posting? No one is really following and/or answering questions? How did you guys handle your notices?  

Lisa1523
Level 1
Newport Beach, CA

Hello, wondering if the latest coastal commission ruling in Laguna Beach to allow access and short term rentals has had a positive impact in HB? 

Lawrence163
Level 2
Irvine, CA

I see a year has passed since this thread was last updated.

I'm considering buying a condo in HB for my occasional use as well as AirBnb - I imagine it's the same for many people here.

Could someone post a quick update on the city's stance?

It would be much appreciated. 

Thanks.