Notifications

Barbara1198
Level 2
Auburn, NE

Notifications

This morning at 2:04 I received a notification concerning a guest arriving in 8 days!!! Hardly something I needed to know about at 2:04 am. I contacted Airbnb support and got nowhere. I don’t understand why Airbnb can’t use common courtesy with notifications. Have their code writers write a code that stipulates they don’t send notifications out before 7 AM and not after 9 PM unless it is a last minute reservation.This is not the first time this has happened and it is extremely annoying.

4 Replies 4
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Barbara1198 

Airbnb sends messages all over the world, so you want them to first check your time zone and then sent the message ?

But there is a simple solution:

- Turn off notifications in your account

- Turn of your device at night or make it silent.

BTW who will be interested anyway in such a reminder ("guest arriving in 8 days")

You do realize I don’t know the nature of the text message until after I read it…so I cannot ignore it assuming it is trivial. 

Barbara1198
Level 2
Auburn, NE

I am not shutting off my phone.  My mother-in-law is not well so I want to be available for her, plus I feel it is important to be available for my current guests, so turning off notifications is not an option.  Airbnb has IT people who can write code to accomplish what I am asking. Companies all over the world do this.  It is a simple courtesy to not disturb people in the middle of the night. Airbnb has the ability to do this. 

@Barbara1198    There are "Do Not Disturb" settings one can try, which allow you to turn off notifications between certain hours, but allow exceptions for phone calls or other emergency contacts. 

You could allow guests to call you instead of messaging you if there is a real emergency in the middle of the night.   There may be some guests that will exceed the boundaries, but it's better than getting a notification you didn't want. 

Support may not be the best avenue for trying to get changes made to the way the app works,  especially since they are overloaded trying to deal with calls from folks who have had their accounts suspended due to guests filing fraudulent claims against their hosts.