OVER CHARGING

OVER CHARGING

Hi, I have booked a flat in Italy for 3 months and now the owner want to charge me €1000 more because my children want to come just to spend 3 weeks with me. Does the owner have the right to over charge me if I receive visitors? Thanks 

10 Replies 10
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Idalecio1 

If your children are old enough to be considered as "additional guests" AND the owner has a fee on the listing for additional guests  , then it is allowed to charge you that fee (to be found in the booking form of the listing)  for the additional guests.

Angela1056
Level 10
Linarolo, Italy

Ciao @Idalecio1 , yes, the owner has the right to charge for additional overnight guests if this is clearly mentioned in the listing. Please consider additional bedding, additional use of utilities etc.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Idalecio1  Charging for additional guests is not "overcharging".

Do you really think the host should bear the cost of bedding, towels, utilities, etc, for 3 weeks for the same price they charge for 1 guest? 

Renting an Airbnb isn't like renting a house or apartment long term on a lease where you are free to have visitors.

Louis1783
Level 3
Miami, FL

What if you were the owner. How would you feel if your guest has visitors that will use more utilities, more wear/tear on your property. Would you think that would be fair to you as the owner?

Ok, according to your point of view, it should be a symbolic price just to cover unexpected cost of electricity, water, etc…and not an absurd price of €1000. However, I already paid for the wall house.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

If you think the price is extortionate then book for your adult children to stay elsewhere @Idalecio1 

many self catering property charge an additional rate per person . 

it is not a symbolic price it's a price to cover extra cleaning, linen, towels, amenities, utilities which will be required. 

if you think £23 per person per night to stay in peak season is too much then why not look for alternative accommodation for them.

Hi @Idalecio1 🙂

When renting an Airbnb you usually pay per person and having visitors are often not considered okay - especially not guests who stay overnight. You see some houses can easily sleep 8 people or more but if only 2 persons rent it they shouldn't pay the same as if they were 8. When a guest rents a place long term on Airbnb a huge discount is often included. It is fair and completely normal to pay for overnight visitors and €1000 seems fair for 3 weeks. 

@Idalecio1  You already paid for the whole house? What does that mean? I assume you already paid for what the host charges to house one guest.  And you also likely got a discount as you booked it for 3 months.  

I don't know how many children you have staying, but 1000 doesn't sound at all unreasonable for 2 extra people for 3 weeks. And charging extra doesn't just cover utilities, bedding, towels, etc. The more people,the more general wear and tear on the house, and the more potential for someone to damage something.

Did you inform your host when you booked his property that you would be having guests who would be staying for three weeks?  Did you tell him how many guests?  I have larger properties that families may rent.  Whenever only one person rents, I will ask if they are planning on having guests.  Guests are for a few hours or maybe one night, not for three weeks.   If they are planning on having guests for more than a night, or many overnight guests while renting the whole house, they do not get the same monthly rate as a single guest would get. If you planned for your children to visit you in Italy for three weeks,  and you thought by renting a house and not being honest with the owner about how many people would be in the house so your children could have a cheap vacation, you were very wrong.  

Amanda660
Level 10
Auchenblae, United Kingdom

That works out at 110€ per child per week - sounds like great value and not so much when you break it down.