Occupancy tax help!

Joanne89
Level 2
Lincoln City, OR

Occupancy tax help!

I'm a new host in a city that has 9.5% tax required (only 4.5 is submitted to city, owner keeps 5% for admin).  Airbnb is automatically collecting 1.5% for my state of Oregon (that's what it says on my listing). I cannot find any way to add the remaining amount, or override this setting to collect the whole amount and directly remit to the state. I read in one of the articles that you can add a "special offer" to collect the rest when someone requests a booking... but that assumes you are not using the Instant Book feature. Can someone help??  This seems like a really basic feature that airbnb should offer, to allow hosts to set the percentage so we can follow local laws. 

4 Replies 4
David126
Level 10
Como, CO

5% for admin sounds wrong, but I take it you have State and Town tax and AirBnB only has an agreement with the State.

If so just include anything else in your listing price.

David

Yes only the state (and city of Portland, I'm on the coast) have agreements with airbnb. I was shocked at the 5% but the city staff told me that when I was filling out forms. So after your comment I re-read the collection form and it's 5% of the total collected, makes more sense. However your method of adding tax to the published rate is not legal here. You're supposed to show the tax as a separate amount, applied as a percentage to your room rate. So the only way to do that is to use fixed pricing I guess.

I know here you do not need to show the tax net and gross here, gas and beer are priced inclusive of tax. A few other things as well but they are the biggies.

There is no way in the AirBnB system of showing tax as a line item by a Host, maybe ask somebody local to you who uses AirBnB how they do it?

David

I am having the same problem; Air BnB is now collecting 6% for my state tax but I also have to pay a 7% city tax and I have not found a way to add that in the upfront collection showing it as a city tax.  I do not want to manually collect money from guests for this city fee after they arrive.

Seems like this being a requirement Air BnB ought to have a way of entering it as a line item for our guests to see and understand.  

I haven't even figured out how to reach Air BnB directly to discuss this, anybody have a number I can try?

Thanks for any help you can provide