Offering my entire house for a month.

Mike-and-Wendy1
Level 2
Chino Valley, AZ

Offering my entire house for a month.

I am interested in offering my entire home for a month at time, when I am traveling.  Is this a good idea?  What are some of the downfalls or hazards to doing such?  Are there any suggestions as to pricing, securing my property, or other questions I may not have anticipated?

3 Replies 3
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Mike-and-Wendy1   there are several extensive discussions about the pros and cons of long term (over 27 days) bookings on the Air BNB platform.  So do a bit of search and take advantage of these discussions.  Also, use the Help Center and see how the platform treats long term bookings in cancellation and payment process.  Also, you might also look at your local tenant rights regulations as those could apply for someone who is entrenched in your space.  Price is usually 30-40% discount from the nightly rate, but check your local competition.

Linda-Thanks for the suggestions.  We currently make available to guests a studio type space attached to our house.  I am thinking about making available our entire 3400sqft house to guests one  month out of every year.  This would change the pricing considerably.  Any thoughts?

Yes. Do your market research on local comparable properties to see how they price their properties and what discounts they offer for long term bookings. @Mike-and-Wendy1 

Presumed you have also looked into the issue of whether this would give your guests tenancy rights?