April96
Level 5
Oldsmar, FL

Open Homes sent a convicted felon, not a displaced or refugee

Yeah, so...Airbnb isn't doing ANYTHING about the fact that a convicted felon is

-using my Open Homes listing (free!)

-here because of court on drug charges - both possession and selling

-has brought drugs and at least one weapon here with his gf and baby

-had me get up to meet them before it was light out - me, thinking they were displaced from the hurricane, I did...but turns out, they just needed to get to court on time. Lawyer picked them up in a black BMW.

-They asked for diapers, wipes and baby clothes ahead of time. I also got baby food and toys. Again, thinking displaced from Dorian. That's what I was told.

I truly believed Open Homes verified and screened. They claim every applicant is VERIFIED. 

They DO NOT. I'm hosting shared space as a single female and beyond upset right now. I'm angry, anxious and feel totally taken advantage of. I cannot leave my home to do anything - work, appts, gym - nothing. 

And 3 calls and 5 emails to Airbnb (with proof and photos) has done nothing. 

Airbnb's new policy of no name and no profile photo is DANGEROUS to hosts. As soon as this guest booked, a quick search showed his mug shot. I didn't want to assume, since more than one person can have the same name...but I was correct.

And now, no good deed goes unpunished? 

Be WARY.

1 Best Answer

@April96What a terrible experience for you.  And how irresponsible and careless of Airbnb not to respond asap. Beware the verification aspect.  In my experience it often means, only or either an email and phone number, both of which can be easily be faked. Even with IB and checked parameters anonymous people with only an email have been allowed to book my place and it has been a nightmare to cancel them.

I would keep on at Airbnb if you have the energy and forbearance. It's definitely not a good look for their much publicized "Open Homes" program and worse it exposes hosts to scammers, even danger.  In my opinion Airbnb should also compensate you for the full amount for the listing and the items you provided, that way you can choose to donate, or not, to an honest, trustworthy cause instead of being scammed out of it.   btw:  Did you use this email when contacting them: openhomessupport at airbnb     

https://www.airbnb.com/openhomes

Or write directly to Brian Chesky at the corporate offices in SF. They need to get on top of this. Arguably it is difficult for people in an emergency to upload government ID and fulfill all verifications given internet and phones may be down,  etc.,  But there should be steps in place to mitigate risk before they arrive.

View Best Answer in original post

5 Replies 5
Alice595
Level 10
Concord, CA

@April96  I am so sorry to hear that a person with a good heart like you had experienced this because of Airbnb’s negligence! 

@April96What a terrible experience for you.  And how irresponsible and careless of Airbnb not to respond asap. Beware the verification aspect.  In my experience it often means, only or either an email and phone number, both of which can be easily be faked. Even with IB and checked parameters anonymous people with only an email have been allowed to book my place and it has been a nightmare to cancel them.

I would keep on at Airbnb if you have the energy and forbearance. It's definitely not a good look for their much publicized "Open Homes" program and worse it exposes hosts to scammers, even danger.  In my opinion Airbnb should also compensate you for the full amount for the listing and the items you provided, that way you can choose to donate, or not, to an honest, trustworthy cause instead of being scammed out of it.   btw:  Did you use this email when contacting them: openhomessupport at airbnb     

https://www.airbnb.com/openhomes

Or write directly to Brian Chesky at the corporate offices in SF. They need to get on top of this. Arguably it is difficult for people in an emergency to upload government ID and fulfill all verifications given internet and phones may be down,  etc.,  But there should be steps in place to mitigate risk before they arrive.

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@April96   I'm sorry to hear this, but not very surprised, and this is why I would never participate in anything like Open Homes, because I don't have confidence in airbnb's system of evaluating people or in their capacity to deal with problems that could pose a danger to hosts.  It was a nice idea, but without real vetting, it is a tragedy waiting to happen.

Greg6
Level 3
Orinda, CA

We have Open Homes turned on for our listing in the SF East Bay. We had a family displaced by the fires last year, and again this past week. Thankfully, a legitimate family is with us; they arrived with cars packed with their valuables, and were exhausted and in tears. Their son (10 yo) was thankful our kids invited him over to carve pumpkins and he will go trick or treating with us tonight. A great experience, and the right thing to do. HOWEVER... I have received a half dozen requests from people shown as being from areas not under evacuation -- in neighboring Oakland, mostly -- most ask for dates outside the ones shown as available, and many have less-than-stellar (or no) reviews. 

I feel like turning on Open Homes is Open Season for scammers. I'm turning it off. 

Naomi275
Level 1
Sacramento, CA

I just hosted for the very first time & our first guests were a lovely young couple who'd had to evacuate from the Kincade Fire in Sonoma. I just had a good feeling about them from the get-go; the requestor was very clear about where they were from & why they needed help, asked for a reasonable number of nights, & responded promptly & clearly to my follow-up questions.

Since then I've had to turn down 2 requests -- one person just didn't respond to my asking for a bit more info about himself & his situation so after 12 hrs I declined; and just now I declined after a long back-and-forth with a requestor whose details simply didn't add up. I'm not 100% convinced they were actually fire evacuees.

I agree that Airbnb needs to do more of the legwork here. I've now spent quite a bit of time trying to vet people myself. I'm leaving our home open for a little while longer, but if I get even one more problem or time-consuming request, I'll have to shut it off.