Opt Out of Arbitration Clause - by email?

Trevor22
Level 1
Tempe, AZ

Opt Out of Arbitration Clause - by email?

I always opt out of arbitration clauses (you should, too--look it up). Doing so is usually not  onerous.

Airbnb's new terms of service update their arbitration clause (and they warn about it twice in the description, here: https://www.airbnb.com/terms?eluid=1&euid=560dc653-8b94-aba8-c5b4-9a19bc20d7a7).

I scroll down to Section 34 and find the part that tells how to opt out, and I read this:

"Changes. Notwithstanding the provisions of the "Modification" section above, if Airbnb changes this "Dispute Resolution" section after the date you first accepted these Terms (or accepted any subsequent changes to these Terms),..."

Yep, that's me.

".... you may reject any such change by sending us written notice (including by email) within 30 days of the date such change became effective, as indicated in the "Last Updated" date above or in the date of Airbnb's email to you notifying you of such change..."

Okay, that's pretty standard. But how do I email you? ... Anyone? Anyone? I shouldn't have to send registered mail for something this simple...

8 Replies 8
David126
Level 10
Como, CO

Would it not be simpler and quicker just to delete your account?

David

Why would I delete my account? I like the service and want to use it.

@David126

Did you not get your fix just winding up kitty lady today??  You crack me up.  Did you see her reply to you was removed from the site?

I thought mine was pretty tame, I did not notice the reply was deleted, to be fair I recollect I was not the only one targeted.

Does make me wonder, some times I see things and it is more a translation issue but in this case I do not think it is the case and she really needed help from someone next door. I have an 80 year old ish neighbour and he comes over now and again and we sort things out, but he does know what is and is not an email.

On this thread I think with reflection there is a desire to opt out of arbitration which is not an option, just to revert to the previous version which I am sure would be followed with an account cancellation.

David
Ken28
Level 10
Newburgh, IN

@Trevor22, my best guess would be so send such an email to terms@airbnb.com. That also is the email you would use when you chose to begin arbitration.

I just send the following to Airbnb:

Screen Shot 2017-09-24 at 10.56.47 AM.png

@David126, I doubt they'll suspend my account for this. I'm willing to find out for you guys, though!

So @Trevor22, I got a pleasant response from Airbnb on this:

Thank you for contacting us with this feedback about our Terms of Service.

We do have an option for users to opt-out of the latest update to the dispute resolution process, however the deadline for this has already passed.

As per our Terms, "you may reject any such change by sending us written notice (including by email) within 30 days of the date such change became effective, as indicated in the 'Last Updated' date above or in the date of Airbnb's email to you notifying you of such change." The 'Last Updated' date for this version of the Terms is June 19, 2017.

I apologize for any inconvenience caused.

Kind Regards,

Tina
www.airbnb.com/help

As it turns out, the Terms were updated in June... It's terribly confusing that they advertise "new terms effective Sept. 1," but really they are just saying that the June terms weren't effective for existing users until September.

Either way, they seemed to handle that misinterpretation on my part very nicely. No threats to suspend any accounts.

Actually, that's a terrible response. Don't you see? They never responded to my inquiries, and they only responded to you AFTER you could no longer opt out! It appears they are preventing members from opting out.