Opt out of Airbnb plus because of a renovation!

Opt out of Airbnb plus because of a renovation!

Hi everyone. This is my first post ever and I will try to keep things short and explanatory enough trying also to hide the frustration that I feel. I was invited to the plus program and everything was trouble free until a couple of days ago. I did contact Airbnb support in order to ask what should I do in the event of a much needed renovation (a couple of rooms of my Airbnb plus listing need an update). My questions were basically: should I get some professional photos taken and upload them, replacing the old ones (photos of rooms that after the renovation changed significantly)? should I request a new photoshoot? I really needed some guidance. The response left me not only frustrated but also wondering. The answer I got was that you have to leave the plus program and then if we invite you again you can join once more! I replied of course that I don't really understand the logic of their reply. Most probably eventually every listing of the plus program will need some kind of renovation whether that is a new kitchen, bathroom or decorations. Most of the hosts have put a substantial effort into making their homes and the hospitality they provide good enough to be called into this program or at least this is how I perceive this! Therefore if these hosts do make some changes without  changing the 'aura' of the property or the very essence of it why they should leave the plus program? I did of course ask support to re-examine my request because in my point of view, making a plus listing even better is a win win situation for everyone involved, myself and Airbnb. Has anybody had a similar situation? How did you handle this? What should I do? My kitchen and bathroom really need some remodeling.

7 Replies 7
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Konstantinos117 

And moreover i think Airbnb will do the whole checking process again, including charging you the fee, to enter the Plus programm again..... What a business !

So true, but so unfair also! Their business is driven by hosts that go the extra mile and therefore seems unfair to treat them like this. I have red in various other posts different things. In the early dys of the plus programme they seemed somewhat more flexible but nowadays they seem to get unecessarily strict over this subject. Eventually i think, more and more owners will have to do some sort of re-arrangement or renovation and a lot of pressure will be applied so that airbnb changes their point of view on how to handle this matter

@Konstantinos117  I’m curious, with a Plus listing , do you need permission to update anything on your listing?

Well it seems that you do need a permission. My problem wasn't the permission needed but rather that they proposed that i have to exit the plus programme if i wanted to renovate. Eventually after contacting support once more and after the start of this thread i got a phone call from airbnb and they said that they talked about my problem and they concluded that i was right so i got a clearence to get going with the renovation.

@Konstantinos117

What they should  have told you - but clearly didn't - is that the Plus program exists in name only now. There's nobody dealing with it anymore. It's highly unlikely to ever return 

Airbnb Plus seemingly abandoned, teams either laid off or reassigned
https://shorttermrentalz.com/news/airbnb-plus-abandoned/

Penelope
Gerry47
Level 2
Long Beach, CA

Wow, I'm so glad I found this post. Just today I was on support to find out how I can upload new images of my renovated bathroom and bedroom of my plus guest house, only to be told I can't add new photos. Say what, I just made mt place more inviting but I can't show it to potential guests looking at my listing?? This is crazy, I'm wondering if being on plus is worth It now. A higher fee with no real benefits that I'venoticed at all to be honest.

Susan-and-Eric0
Level 3
Cape Town, South Africa

I too have just renovated my Plus property and have asked Airbnb support the same questions as previous posters.  Needless to say, I have received zero constructive feedback from Airbnb.  Complete silence on the matter.  Has anyone else decided to leave Airbnb Plus and what impact did it have on your rental income?  I have no choice but to leave the programme as my house looks completely different since the renovation.