Options to prevent a problem guest from posting a poor review?

Tawnya0
Level 2
Houston, TX

Options to prevent a problem guest from posting a poor review?

Hi. I am an assistant (and co host) for a property owner. They just had an extremely belligerant, complaining and destructive guest check out. Naturally damage claims were filed when she was flippant and deflective about her responsibility for the damages, when asked how she'd like to pay for them. She has since written a review which we all expect to be horrible. Is there a way to prevent this from becoming public since it's most likely retaliation for the claim? The owners would prefer to take the high road and not write a poor review in response,  but is this the only protection against it damaging their online reputation?

12 Replies 12
Steve143
Level 10
Limerick, Ireland

Hello @Tawnya0,

She's written her review so it will appear on the owner's listing and profile page in 14 days anyway if the owner doesn't write a review of her. If the owner writes a review both reviews will appear on the respective pages immediately.

There's no way to stop her review appearing on the owner's pages. The owner will have the option of commenting on her review when it appears. That comment will appear only on the owner's page. The response should be short and unemotional. It should not mention anything that's not in the review. A long argumentative comment will reflect badly on the owner from other prospective guests' points of view.

Please make sure that an honest review of her is left, one that is unemotional and has just the bare facts and gives her a thumbs down. Otherwise Airbnb may remove it if she complains.

If you don't review her then she lives to desend on some other unsuspecting host another day.

It could say something like the following so other hosts will get the message.

"We strove to accommodate XXX'x many requests. She would be better suited to a hotel environment".

When you see her review you can ask Aribnb to remove it if it contravenes the review content policy.

The article below addresses the issue and has a link to the review content policy.

https://www.airbnb.ie/help/article/32/can-i-delete-or-respond-to-a-review-i-disagree-with

Steve.

Mika8
Level 10
Zürich, Switzerland

@Tawnya0 .. bad guests have to be reviewed .. to protect other hosts!

I agree. But the owner is trying to be nice. I will suggest again they leave a detailed and unemotional low review.

It seems crazy that you cannot block vindictive negative reviews. As long add they follow the policy they can say whatever they want, true or not? Seems pretty unfair to hosts.

Hi @Tawnya0 ,

yes, they can say whatever they want as long as they don't disregard the review guidelines.

It makes no sense to be nice to a guest who isn't nice at all.

@Tawnya0

Please make sure an honest and factual review is written about those nightmare guests. Imo, guest reviews are more for the sake of fellow hosts who may have to host that guest in the future.

If you had seen a review implying that the guest was  "belligerant, complaining and destructive" would you have welcomed/accepted that person??? You don't need to go into detail, but focus on the facts and your own experience/thoughts. 

I would suggest a review along the lines of......."Guest complained about things mentioned in the listing description, and their overall attitude towards host/co-host made us all very uncomfortable. Upon check out we found walls/floors/furniture/applicances damaged. Based on our experience, guest would be better suited to a hotel that offers concierge services." 

Hi, We have just had our first guest who have not raved over our property. They found something to niggle about every single day - little things that not one other person has mentioned, even something like the height of the garden fence which would, in their opinion, have been better if it was a bit lower! (It is that height to protect their privacy). They were an absolute nightmare and left the place really messy, unlike every one of our other guests who have left it as immaculate as they found it. We are now expecting them to give us our first negative review but I feel I would rather not review them at all than give them a negative one. If I do give them a thumbs down, can they respond on my listing?

@Stephanie257 .. meanwhile I get really pissed from all the hosts who don't like to review bad guests .. we don't have to be surprised to host bad guests when all hosts decline to review bad guests and therefore warn other hosts.

Host should stop with this stupid behavior!!

What is the point? The next time they book they can just do that with someone else's profile. Guests have nothing to lose, and hosts have everything to lose. AirBnb needs to do more. When you have evidence to show that the guest completely disregarded your rules, they should be blocked from writing you a review.

John1080
Level 10
Westcliffe, CO

@Tawnya0, the owners/you need to write a negative review and give a thumbs down. This woman needs to be held accountable and other hosts need to know about this, so we can avoid her. The review should be short, to the point and professional avoiding emotion. 

Tawnya0
Level 2
Houston, TX

My understanding at this point is the guest has been banned from AirBnB. I'm not sure why, the owner was also in conversation with her and the company over damage claims and perhaps she said something there. I know her comments of "well what do hotels do" and "at a hotel.." when asked about things are a clear sign that this type of accomodation is not for her.

It's just dissapointing that to get "Super Host" you cannot have negative reviews but they don't give you any recourse to prevent unjustified ones. Makes it very hard on the hosts who are the backbone of the entire business model.

@Tawnya0, if the said guest has now been banned, I would think you all have some leverage to get the negative review removed. I would contact Air and try to get it removed for sure! Are you going to be able to still collect damages?