Organized Crime in Brooklyn NYC

Ota316
Level 2
New York, NY

Organized Crime in Brooklyn NYC

Hello Airbnb family,

I am writing sadly to inform you all that there is at least 1 organized crime ring looking for airbnb hosts to rob.

I recently started request guests to send me all their guests' IDs. Guest #1 booked the home on Sunday and sent me a set of photo IDs. 

That group proceeded to trash my home and tried to break into my neighbors apartment. They left the next morning.

Guest #2, who booked my home, proceeded to send me the same set of photo IDs.

you do the math. I am still sitting here afraid they will show up because they have my address, and Airbnb refuses to cancel the reservation even after I've expressed fear for my safety.

6 Replies 6
Liv
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Ota316,

I'm really sorry this happened to you. 

I have checked on the issue and I'd like to assure you that the Customer Experience team is currently working on your case.

I hope this helps. Please do keep me updated in case you need further support.

Thanks,

Liv

Thank you very much. The reservation was canceled this morning by the Airbnb staff, and I have spent a fortune changing my locks to high-security locks last night, and over the next week, will be adding a whole suite of security devices on the exteriors windows and doors of my apartment.

I appreciate your response. Thank you for making me feel safer again.

-Ota

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Can you not cancel yourself if you use IB @Ota316 saying you are uncomfortable with the guest if Airbnb won't cancel? Alternatively try them on their social media.

I agree all hosts who have separate listings should use electronic locks or similar which means the listings are only available to guests during the period of their stay. And CCTV so you can monitor who is using your listing.

Good luck.

María1742
Level 2
Guayaquil, Ecuador

Hi, Mr. Ota.

I know I'm a bit curious of what happened, since at the moment I'm in a similar situation.

Best regards;
Malola
"WHAT inn is this/Where for the night/Peculiar traveller comes?"
-Emily Dickinson.
Alexander1163
Level 2
New York, NY

I’ve had a remotely similar situation about a year ago. The only thing I’ve done to avoid it is to hike the prices and limit stays to 5 days minimum. Additionally, I don’t automatically accept requests to stay for people with no feedback and recommendations. Instead, I ask them to tell me about themselves and why they need an apartment. These measures stopped it. I have also installed cameras in all the shared areas.  And I’ll be adding the smart locks to all the listings this year.

Helen744
Level 10
Victoria, Australia

@Ota316 Ota , the reason we ask for Id is so that when guests turn up and we see them face to face we can judge that they are , the person who booked and the person on the Id . you need to tighten up your procedures and not simply 'wing it '  also in this case you can ring the police because I suspect without going out on a limb that none of your guests will be the same as the id or the person who booked. Are you also automatically providing access codes / please tell me you are not ?H