Ottawa Permit

Basel6
Level 1
Ottawa, Canada

Ottawa Permit

Hi there,

I'm wondering how did you guys go through on getting the Permit in Ottawa to Keep Hosting?.

I submitted a form online and applied via email 3 times yet no answer from anybody. I even went to the business center in ottawa and was told you must do it online.

Any help?

Thanks,

Basel

11 Replies 11
Mary747
Level 1
Ottawa, Canada

Hey Basel,

I feel your pain with this! I’ve applied/ contacted many times and no response. A friend/ other host suggested going into the bylaw office on industrial Ave. 

Hope you’ve heard a reply! 

Did you guys get inspection ? I went to city office, they submit applications and someone comes by for inspection and then grant you the permit

I had an inspection . The bylaw officer was very nice. She just needed to see that the layout conformed with what was submitted and that we had safety equipment like smoke detectors and fire extinguisher. Then she even helped me by providing all the bylaw links I needed to include in my guest information booklet. It was a pain-free experience. 

Almazi2
Level 2
Ottawa, Canada

I think you have to book onsite appointment on-line

Bart18
Level 2
Ottawa, Canada

Hi guys, we received our permit last week.  We sent in our application about 6 weeks ago.  We had an email saying they were working on it about 10 days later.  Early last week we received a message asking for more info.  We provided.  Several days later we got the permit number. We still haven't paid the application fee.  

Hi, could you help by letting me know what insurance company you have. 
City says airbnb’s insurance policy not enough and i need an insurance company that can cover for short term rentals

thanks

Do you have an insurance broker? They can find an insurance company that will insure short term rentals.  My broker also helped get the letter I needed for Airbnb. I use Marsh Canada as my brokerage. I can give you my contact there is you like  

It was about 6 weeks for me too. The process was not that difficult and the bylaw officer who did the home inspection was very kind and helpful.  

Ursula117
Level 3
Ottawa, Canada

We sent several emails and sent off all of our info, save and except a certificate of insurance as the Airbnb website says that they have provided it on hosts behalf.

The city has given me a permit number but hasn’t actually processed my application or taken my fee.

I’ve heard from other hosts that the City is not in fact accepting AirBnb’s certificate of insurance.

Hussein50
Level 1
Montreal, Canada

Hey fellow Ottawans, does any know what is the average time to get a short term rental permit in Ottawa and what would be the fastest way to submit the form (in person or online). Thanks guys!

Mine took about 6 weeks in Ottawa. I submitted online.