Our first Bad AirBnB Guest

Answered!
Taylor117
Level 2
Sacramento, CA

Our first Bad AirBnB Guest

Hello all! Me and my girlfriend have just started doing AirBnb at the start of July. Unfortunately we have had our first bad guest and I'm not entirely sure how to go about it. 

Currently he still has one more night with us but the guest is using paper towels and then leaving his fecal matter in our trash can. While I appriciate that he isn't flushing paper towels down our toilet which could cause plumbing issues in the future but having a trash can full of **bleep** is a health concern. So I'm asking other hosts what we should do with this guest and how we should leave the review apporipriately. 

Thank you for your time in reading this! 

1 Best Answer
Elizabeth429
Level 10
Madrid, Spain

@Taylor117,

As much as I understand your disappoitment, I do not think a bad review would do anything to make this guest change his behaviour.  I know some cultures do it that way and maybe it isnt an obvious problem for them, except that sometimes manners and detail as in how to deal with the paper tissue make a difference and thats where you might do something. If this has been the only real issue you have had with the guest, maybe you could mention the health issues there are with handling toilet waste. The guest might be unaware of what it means to others. Believe me, cultures are complicated 🙂 What is a normal standard for you might not be for others and vicerversa.

View Best Answer in original post

17 Replies 17

Hi John, I have in my intro a message that no cooking is allowed and if they want to cook they should seek alternative accommodation; no problems since! I also say I have a very small fridge for shared use (emphasising small) and provide seperate coffee and tea making facilities in the dining room. I also have signs on the back of the bedroom doors in english and chinese! After all of this I had to laugh at one review I got, it complained there was no use of the kitchen so why book here! Not sure how you went with the review but I always try to be honest. Once you see what they have written you have the right of reply. I have only had one vindictive review and I'm bet she was sorry as I wrote her a novel on her faults in reply HA HA! Good luck with your hosting!

Mark1128
Level 3
Steamboat Springs, CO

Honostly the best solution is to just talk to him, and let him know not to do what he is doing.  Not sure how much rapport you build with your guests before they arrive, but this just has to be a blunt conversation!  Or, if you're not comfortable having the conversation with him, then message him in the app.  It really doesn't have to be a "rules" thing.  Just "please don't do that", and flush your waste...

Robert310
Level 2
Converse, TX

I have not had anything such as this, however, I had one new airbnb guest just totally disrupt my rating because he did not follow instructions. And his first request stated one guest bur showed up with another. Simple instruction to park in the pool area for guest in the property. However, for three straight days he did the complete opposite causeng conflict with the property mgr. After informing him the first day, he did it again the next two days. Actually parking directly next to the property mgr. I did not discover this until I arrive back to the property. I asked him why he did that? He said" I did not understand the parking instructions"

Now he gives me a bad rating because I had never had to ask someone to check out one day early. Airbnb however, did not help much, they took his side. I should have explained to him better. 

I don`t babysit grown people!