Our place is on Fraser Island and yet properties on the mainland feature before ours in the search?

Robyn37
Level 2
Brisbane City, Australia

Our place is on Fraser Island and yet properties on the mainland feature before ours in the search?

Since the new formula came in our bookings and views have dived big time. I thought why is this happening and so I did a search for Fraser Island and lots of properties came up for the mainland before our property listing, which is actually on the Island.  IF people search for the Island I think they want to stay on the island not the mainland. At the moment they need to go through pages of listings that are not on the Island. I can't find anyway to get in contact with AirBnB to raise this problem.

7 Replies 7
Ria16
Level 10
Northland, New Zealand

@Robyn37 I’ve been going to Hervey Bay for whale watching for the last 8 years, To be honest I’ve only every seen packaged deals for Frasier via Hervey for those 2-3 day drive trips.

Could you fit frasier your title heading.? That might make it more noticeable.

I guess because you are a very small minority the other areas are included as it’s within a certain radius/mileage . You could try twitter they are very quick in answering. Or the phone number is 2 8520 3333

ps do you think Migaloo is on his way..I aim to meet him one of these days 🙂 

ps when I type in Frasier island I get 13 accomodations all on Frasier and no other places 

Robyn37
Level 2
Brisbane City, Australia

Hi Ria, thank you so much for your response and the phone no. I have rung Air BnB and they have raised a case for this - when I search on my iPad I get 300 properties for Fraser Island - but most are on the mainland in Hervey Bay and when I do a search on my laptop I get 13 properties - and mine is not listed! Anyway AirBnB were very responsive and are looking into this - I just hope I haven't missed out on too many bookings, I couldn't work out why it went so quite all of a sudden?

It's lovely to hear from someone else who is as passionate about whales as us - Fraser Island is just the best place to see them when they are resting and playing in the bay. Let me know if you ever want to head over to the Island and I will give you a great rate! Our property is the The Happy Gecko Villa in Kingfisherbay Resort.

...and I did once catch a glimpse of Migaloo, however that was at Byron Bay as he was heading north, I couldn't believe it..

cheers

Robyn

Ria16
Level 10
Northland, New Zealand

@Robyn37 Probsbly my most favorite week of the year I don’t know what I love the most about the humpies, the bull runs, or the mums and babies. Or just the fact they come over and mob you 🙂 I did a week with Wally Franklin a couple of years ago and that was just amazing 😉 and wow it’s my life long dream to see Mig. Lucky you. ...Did you see that he came through the cook straight year before last...that makes him a kiwi nods head 😉  

OOhh im  glad you are getting things sorted your place looks lovely ..;) just  a thought can you check the map and check the pin is in the right place for,your address?  (somebody else might be able to explain that better. 

Isnt thst funny you have two Ria’s answering 😉 

Robyn37
Level 2
Brisbane City, Australia

thanks Ria, Ria and Kia (the person at Air BnB helping) haha 🙂 I will go in and check the map and pin - I do seem to recall having trouble getting it in the right spot - but at least I think it is on the Island and not in the Bay!

That would have been amazzing going out with Wally Franklin - I have been to a few of his and Trish's presentations..many years ago now. My favorite time is when the whales just come and hang out at the boat and almost seem to be checking you out as much as we are checking them out. Can't wait for whale season again!

cheers

Robyn

Ria39
Level 3
Clontarf, Australia

Hi Robyn,

I just went in as a guest and requested Fraser Island, Queensland and this is what it bought up? Sounds like your search is different?

fraser.JPG

Robyn37
Level 2
Brisbane City, Australia

Thanks Ria, I have now got in contact with Air BNB and they have raised a case - the problem is our villa doesn't appear in the search, which probably explains why it has been so quiet.  (it appears when I search on the iPad, I then get 300 properties, but mine is only after all the Hervey Bay properties)

Let me know if you are ever heading over!

cheers

Robyn

Rebecca181
Level 10
Florence, OR

@Robyn37 I noticed just this week that Airbnb suddenly is listing rentals that are in TOWN as if they are in my beach area. It didn't used to be that way. If you searched on 'Heceta Beach', you got rentals in Heceta Beach. As in, near the ocean. As in, hearing waves and all of that. Not rentals that are 10 miles away in town. So now the search is very cluttered with rentals that are not beach rentals. Time will tell how this impacts my listing. Makes no sense at all. I really don't get it.