Overused electricity and water

Dora31
Level 4
London, United Kingdom

Overused electricity and water

hello guys

I just wonder if you could share your experience 

I have a guest staying over 2 weeks and I noticed the enormous amount of water being used. on the top of that the lights were always left on in the whole flat. 

She is renting a room in my 2 bedroom flat (i also live here) and despite of my warning she does not seem to care. 

I have been on airbnb for over 5 years and never had such an issue but spending an hour everyday in the shower seems to be too much. I think that the guest might also have some OCD issues: a big showergel was left for her and it was gone within 5 days. same with the washing liquid and hand soap. 

would you charge extra? 

7 Replies 7

@Dora31   You can send a request via the Resolutions tool for your guest to pay an extra amount (perhaps proportional to how much your bills have increased). But this is likely to result in a dispute, and if your listing didn't specify any limitations on resource consumption, it seems unlikely that Airbnb would side with you.

The bigger issue seems to be that your guest is ignoring your warnings and disrespecting your household in general. Not a good sign for a shared home. I'd advise having communication about this logged in the Airbnb messenger so you have a paper trail, and if you don't reach a resolution you can propose an earlier checkout date and refund the remainder of her stay.

David3267
Level 10
Torquay, United Kingdom

Think it unlikely the resolution centre would act in your favour. I would just reiterate please turn off lights if not being used and explain the expense of an hour long shower but if she doesn't want to play ball I don't think you'll get anywhere. Good luck

As your question is - would you charge extra - my answer is "no". The guest is over 2 weeks - how much over? Ten days more or only three? Obviously you are lucky to have a guest in low season for so long time - and on top - paying you as though 2 guests are staying as your price is equal if you have 2 or just one guest. Buy cheap and low quality hand soap and washing liquid, give them to the guest with a smile but tell him that he has to buy the shower gel by himself as staying for so long he better use the one he likes... If he tells you he liked the one he used - tell him that you were not able to find it nearby.  Switch off the lamps on all the places of the flat with a smile, so that only the lamp in his own room stays on. Nothing you can do with long shower time - or you might have a revenge review.  

Dora31
Level 4
London, United Kingdom

Oct and Nov are the busiest months for me, lots of tourist come and I am usually fully booked. Absolutly no low season. 

I just never had a guest not being considerate

I think that I will still raise a claim. 

@Dora31  Regarding the claim you intend to raise:  when I said "Airbnb is unlikely to side with you," I didn't only mean that they won't force the guest to pay extra for the water and electricity.  You're also at risk of having your listing suspended or removed for a violation of the terms of service. It's prohibited to demand previously undisclosed charges for the use of amenities that are billed as inclusive in the listing, and you don't have a viable case that use of utilities which you consider excessive constitutes any kind of physical damage.

In short, of all the actions you could take, "raising a claim" is about the worst you could do. If you don't think this issue is severe enough to merit terminating the booking, it surely can't be worth beginning the much more labor-intensive and conflict-prone process of making a claim through Airbnb.

Dora31
Level 4
London, United Kingdom

I have to disagree with you. It does seem that Airbnb would allow me the claim. I had phoned them, explained the situation and I was told that I keep all conversations on airbnb, and if I can prove the extra charge then it is fine. 

Guests should be more considerate 

@Dora31  I can only wish you the best of luck with the many different outsourced agents who will handle your claim with contradictory information, and the review you'll receive. It's always a gamble - you've rolled your dice differently than I would have, but maybe it will work out fine!