PANDEMIC

PANDEMIC

We are in the middle of a PANDEMIC !!    (Airbnb needs updated policies !!!)
Airbnb knows better than World Health Org. and CDC. 
Any others out there that have this issue.Here is what I wrote.  

Note: we did not send funds directly to the "Host" you referenced, therefore we will continue to direct our concerns with you.
Are you seriously willing to loose a long-time customer of Airbnb over a technicality? (Check your records). 
However, what the records do not show is the rest of our family (and MANY friends) who will be impacted by your response. There are other options in regard to Rental Agencies. 
It is most troubling to read your response as you suggested that "you chose not to travel" - as if our decision was based on a minor situation. We were heartbroken to not be able to visit our family for Thanksgiving! No, we were not physically restrained nor threatened in regard to our wise decision not to travel. 
Does Airbnb not recognize (as most other companies do) that we are in a PANDIMIC? 
Does Airbnb know better than the World Health Org. or CDC .., regarding travel risks?
CDC plainly states "CDC warns America: DO NOT travel for Thanksgiving" (Quote). This would suffice even for healthy people who want to curb the infection spike - let alone people like us 64 with serious health conditions. Did you receive my Doctors letter?
Now is not the time to quote typical policies that do not reflect these very unique times!
We are being penalized for following our governments strong warnings - and the advice of our Doctors!
We are willing to overlook these prior policy disputes and remain a loyal customer - only if your company does what is right. 
Thank you in advance for your understanding.
We sincerely don't want to pursue this by including outside intervention, however we will if forced to - if for no other reason than the principle at play here. 
Sincerely,

29 Replies 29
Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

You are writing to a bunch of hosts and guests, @Russell-Sydney0 , not to Airbnb itself.

Anyway, maybe we can help. Did you book your Thanksgiving holiday before or after the pandemic was underway? Before March?

I'll have to ask my wife.
But, what difference does it make - as the COVID problem changes ...Daily?
This speaks to the need to update old / Typical policies, right?

BTW - The reason I wrote was Airbnb keeps repeating the old standard policy - not willing to acknowledge we made a wise decision based on CDC WARNINGS. 

@Russell-Sydney0  If your stay  was booked prior to March 14th, you are eligible for a refund on a cancelled stay if it is due to Covid. After March 14th, the pandemic is no longer considered unforeseen. If you make travel plans from that date forward, you do so on the understanding that those plans may be interrupted. When you book an Airbnb, you enter into a contract, having checked the box agreeing to the cancellation policy in place. Airbnb is not to blame if you lock yourself into a contract, and don't familiarize yourself with the terms. Airbnb's Covid extenuating circumstances policy indicates you can cancel with refund if you are sick with Covid only.

Again, when booking, you are asked to read and agree to the cancellation policies. You are also encouraged to consider choosing an option with a flexible cancellation policy. See below. Your choice.

https://www.airbnb.ca/help/article/2701/extenuating-circumstances-policy-and-the-coronavirus-covid19

So, gotcha by the Fine Print". They really got me on that one, good job!! Very sneaky - something you look for in a business.

"After March 14th, the pandemic is no longer considered unforeseen"

This is fundamentally incorrect, everything about this Pandemic has been unforeseen and non-predictable!  
Note: we did not cancel due to the Pandemic (that we had heard about) - we Cancelled due to the unpredictable "TRAVEL Warnings" from the CDC. We tend to be responsible citizens. 
Maybe Airbnb should volunteer for CDC and help them with future predictions of the Pandemic. 

@Russell-Sydney0  There is nothing ‘sneaky’ in a business holding you to the contract you willingly entered into. Take responsibility for not bothering to read the terms of said contract. 

Of course it wasn't;  you booked an STR knowing that Covid existed and that the spread of the virus was unpredictable particularly as you are in a country with one of the highest Covid and death rates in the world @Russell-Sydney0 

Having said that if legally you were unable to travel because of restrictions in your home state of the one you are travelling to you may be entitled to a refund.

Again, I am frustrated with repeatedly hearing about the contract details that do not fit an unforeseeable and unpredictable Pandemic. 
I've noticed I don't get a reply about the other issues I have brought up. Is that somewhere in the contract details?
In the service industry, I have always adhered to the policy that "the customer is right" - "Fix the problem and save a customer" vs. go away and read the policies. 

@Russell-Sydney0  "Is that somewhere in the contract details"? You mean to say you still  haven't read the contract?

"I've noticed I don't get a reply about the other issues I have brought up". All that's relevant is you signed a contract. Period. Now you're being held to it, and you're mad because of that. To anyone seriously paying attention, it's obvious that travel post pandemic onset is going to be highly subject to disruption. Yet you chose to make travel plans, and chose to book a listing on Airbnb with a strict cancellation policy. You were invited  by Airbnb to review that cancellation policy, and encouraged to book a listing with a flexible policy instead. You weren't paying attention. Now your travel plans have, very predictably, been disrupted. You bear responsibility for the situation you find yourself in.

@Russell-Sydney0 I can't see any other issues so can't comment on those. On your major point I have one question. Did it become unlawful, between you booking your trip and the trip's dates to go on the trip? If yes then google 'frustrated contracts in the USA' (although its called something different over there and take appropriate action. If the law didn't change then I am afraid you will be held to the contract you entered into when booking.

No "Laws' were in place. Is that the prerequisite for everything? (EX; is there a law for intentionally coughing in someones face?) Or was following CDCs WARNING sufficient ? And following my Dr.s advice (He wrote Airbnb a letter). 
Basically, Airbnb was asking us to disregard the recent CDC WARNING for Americans to not travel during Thanksgiving. (They simply don't have superior knowledge to enforce that over CDC). We were being civic minded. Just look at the numbers today because others did not listen. 
Bottom line, Airbnb should be more flexible during these "Unprecedented" times - and not merily keep pointing to their general policies.  I KNOW THE POLICY.  Response to the Pandemic changes daily - like it did in our situation. Sorry I could not foretell that the CDC would issue a warning.   

@Russell-Sydney0 Laws are a prerequisite for being able to challenge Airbnb's position. This is because laws can potentially override the contract you made when booking. Oh and yes there are laws, that have been invoked ,for intentionally coughing in someone's face - Its called assault.

Absent the above then you are relying on goodwill BUT please do recognise that goodwill works both ways. Hosts are, in many cases, in a far worse position than you. Some rely on the Airbnb income to put food on their table for many it allows them to pay the mortgage on the property. Obviously for some hosts its just an extra income they can live without but I suspect these are in the minority.

Please provide the source for the law you stated. (and how it could be proven intentional) 

Also, you missed the point. There are things we refrain from doing just because they are right - not just being caught by the law. 

So, the hosts need a good review of the out of touch Airbnb policies.  Humm. 
Hopefully my unreturned funds have helped them. 

@Russell-Sydney0 Google 'frustrated contracts Edward VII' (might be VIII) to learn. Then google the equivalent in your state country.

Alternatively just keep being rude to people on the forum (as it does liven things up a bit)