PLEASE HELP! URGENT ADVICE NEEDED! Host does not respond!

PLEASE HELP! URGENT ADVICE NEEDED! Host does not respond!

I urgently need help. I have made a booking  yesterday to a place which was perfectly suited for my next trip. Offer was accepted immediately since they automatically accept requests from guests who have confirmed ID details.

I have messaged the host a couple of times here with a  few queries I have got but got no response.

I tried texting them on whatsapp and it seems they read it and  I  have also tried phoning them but still no answer whatsover.

Cancellation policy is medium which means you only get refunded 50 percent which is unfair as I  really do not wish to cancel, I just want a straight answer.

I am getting really anxious now as I am travelling next Tuesday (8/5) and I need to know what to do asap.

I simply cannot show up without knowing if the host is even there.

Have you ever been in this situation and what did you do? Is there an international customer service helpline I can phone?

Any advice appreciated!! Thanks.

9 Replies 9
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

Hello @Sofia254 ,

There is still some time the host can respond. But otherwise contact Airbnb and explain your concerns, phone number Greece is in here:

Community Center (NL) - Airbnb Community

@Sofia254

To reach Airbnb in general, 

On your Help page, near the bottom right is a "Contact us" button.
Or you can use this link: https://www.airbnb.com/help/contact_us

Once you are on the "Contact us" page, choose "Its something else"

This will give you the choice to either exchange messages with AirBnB or to speak to someone on the phone.
(Using the "Contact us" by phone gives you the option to have them call you, so you don't have to wait on hold.)

If you don't mind waiting on the phone:

Greece / ελλάδα: +30 211 1989888

Thank you!The host finally got back in touch this evening so the problem is sorted for now. But I ll save this number for future reference as I have not been able to find a phone number before.

Bruna-and-Siana0
Level 10
Santa Clara, CA

@Sofia254 How many reviews does the listing have? And the host? In the host information, it says Response rate and Response time, what does say? This should give you an indication if you have to be worried or not. 

Bruna-and-Siana0
Level 10
Santa Clara, CA

@Sofia254 btw, if the host doesn't respond, don't worry about the cancellation. AirBnB will most likely cancel it pentalty free. It's not your fault.

@Bruna-and-Siana0 Thanks. I finally got a response from the host's partner who said they ll be waiting for me so I am relieved now. Response rate was 100% but only 1 review as its a new host.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Sofia254   I'm glad the host got back to you and your mind is now at ease.  Try to keep in mind that in this day and age of texting, whatsapp, etc, people, especially younger ones who have grown up with this technology, often are expecting an instant reply.  However not everyone uses a smart phone, apps, etc. I only access my airbnb account on a laptop and only check it once a day, as I am busy working, nor do I have unlimited data, so my computer is not just on all the time, alerting me to a new message.

I remember reading a post on some dating site years ago where a guy was asking other users to look at his account to see if they found anything wrong with it because he wasn't getting any hits. Another user asked him how long he'd had his ad up- he replied 10 minutes! He was actually worried because he somehow expected that tons of girls would instantly contact him as soon as he posted his ad.

It's great that you're the kind of person who wants to have all their ducks in a row (an expression you may or may not be familiar with) before setting out on a trip so as to minimize any nasty surprises- hosts love guests who are organized and communicative. But your Tuesday arrival ( 4 days away) may have said to the hosts that there wasn't any immediate urgency in responding, like within the first hour, or even half a day.

@Sarah977 You are right. I guess I probably panicked too early. Obviously not all of us can be online at all times

I  guess I had a couple of negative experiences in the past. Like once that  I had booked a hotel, my reservation was cancelled at the last minute for no reason and that was like 12 hours before my flight! So I had to book another place which was awful at the end. Ended up  randomly staying at an acquaintance's house instead for half of the nights.  Also I tend to be quite nervous before travelling as too many things can go wrong at the last minute if you are not too careful. 

@Sofia254 It is a new host so he is probably not used to AB yet. Give him or her a bit of time. You are one of the first guests. As a host (and also guest) there is a learning curve.

You probably got a good deal as the listing is new. The host is learning and the place won't be perfect yet. Try to be sympathetic and provide constructive feedback. I'm sure the host will appreciate it.