[PLS Help] A VERY bad cusotmer experience happend on 16th Feb in China airbnb - sorry but I could not find another escalation channel

Answered!

[PLS Help] A VERY bad cusotmer experience happend on 16th Feb in China airbnb - sorry but I could not find another escalation channel

Dear Airbnbers:

I'm Cedric from China, I joined airbnb 1820 days ago. I'm writing this email to escalate a bad experience with Airbnb that happened 2 days ago. The reason why I dropped this case here is due to when I ask for the escalation with the customer support, the answer is "it's not necessary because my supervisor would hold the same opinion with me, and we are busy."

The issue of Airbnb I encountered in summary:
1、I plan to travel to "Tonglu" and live in "Tonglu" on 16th Feb night - to spend the Chinese New Year with my family. Thus, I made a reservation with a house in "Tonglu"(using map search function) on 14th Feb, the reservation code is "HMF8S5YX3S"
2、On 16th Feb 4:30pm, when I arrive at "Tonglu" house address(SAME address in the reservation details provided by airbnb), I found I could not find the house, thus, I contact the host, and the host said"my house is not in Tonglu, but in another city->hangzhou"
3、I gave the reservation screenshot to the host, and the host said"it's airbnb's address showing issue", the host advised me to cancel the reservation.
4、The host said he didn't have a house in Tonglu and he can not help me further. I didn't cancel the reservation, I want to ask for help from Airbnb because at that time, I don't need the returned money, I need a warm house to celebrate the Chinese New Year with my family, with kids and parents.

The RIDICULOUS customer experience I had with China Airbnb Customer Support:
1、I called airbnb customer support of China at 4:54pm 16ht Feb, explained the issues above(I gave all the evidence the CS asked for and I double checked with him if it's sufficient for him to help me, he said "yes"
2、I gave a clear suggestion/request to him"can airbnb helps me to find an alternative house ASAP since my family is standing on the street of an unknown city(we just followed the guided address airbnb provided, we don't have any fault)"
2、The customers support said he would contact the host and get back to me asap
3、The customers told me it was the fault of host not airbnb issue(but when I turned to the host again the host insisted it was airbnb issue, I have the screenshot evidence)
4、Again I asked the help to the airbnb Customer support, I explained I need a house nearby the house I booked two days ago and I'm here NOW(I don't care whose fault, at least this issue is not occurred by me, right?)
5、The customer support gave me three house links, I sent back 1 house link, and I requested the CS of airbnb could help me to negotiate a proper house, these happened at 5:33pm
6、THe customer support insist on to ignore my request and ask me to contact the any new host by myself, this happened on 5:34pm, the same day I'm going to check-in with my family(why I should afford this mistake which  NOT occurred by me?).
7、The the customer support never ever reply me in the next 90 mins, such unconcerned and unaccountable customer service, leading my kids, my parents and I standing on the freezing street during the Chinese new year for TWO HOURS until 7:11pm,he responded via app MESSAGE me right after I just booked another house , which is a LOFT very inconvenient to family members(we don't have another choice), we didn't have a festival dinner due to late check-in, the customer support said "he was busy just now"(I have screenshot attached)

The CUSTOMER RIGHTS I strive for:
1、No matter the root case is due to airbnb nor the host, I believe it's not my fault, why my family and I should be  punished standing on the street for 2hrs and missing the featival dinner?As a platform should you have any solutions on this type of condition? You don't have any responsibility on this deal? I request airbnb give me an explanation.
2、You have a poor customer support experience, your CS team doesn't act like real customer support but a PR team. They don't have any empathy for customers, I would rather quit airbnb and ask my friends never to use your services(or maybe China services)
3、My original reservations stored the issues of airbnb which I booked the right address/house, why AIRBNB can terminate it without and ANY pre-communication and without ANY solutions provided by your company to me, you can act so rudely like this?

I used airbnb services in many other countries and It's really great innovation to re-define the travel experience for tourists, I was liking it a lot and promoted to my family and friends, I don't know why airbnb service become so poor in China now, I wish you could look into this and give a proper feedback, I wish you don't loose china market due to inconsistent customer experience here, and as a 5 years member of airbnb, I wish I could point out the issue When Airbnb goes horribly wrong.

Sincerely,

Cedric

18th Feb 2021

PS: I had all the screenshot evidence if your team need for further reference

1 Best Answer

I’m getting a little concerned about this due to my neighbor also does Airbnb and her guests came in robbed her this past week and they left the next morning with everything. Also, people placing homes on AIRBNB that are “not actually there” is obviously an issue and a crisis when you and your family are the ones in the heat of the moment standing in the cold with no where to stay and not sure what to do next. You’re basically on you own! If the CS at Airbnb were in any of the situations would certainly understand the emotions and a bit of fear involved!!!   My Airbnb/home is set up for 4 guests. 13 stayed for 4 nights and destroyed my stairs, etc. Airbnb is a wonderful concept but it seems to be expanding to other areas with not so nice participants. I love Airbnb as I have said and I’m sure we all do but I’m thinking criminal background checks or some type of confirmation of their intent needs to be confirmed by some other method then hoping it all works out!! In a perfect world with perfect people AIRBNB is wonderful but things are changing dramatically due to those who are so incredibly dishonest and those “dishonest participants” have figured out AIRBNB’s system and are starting to benefit financially in wrong doing!! AIRBNB please get more involved! We all want to stay with this/AIRBNB but we need more assurance that a better check of Hosts and Guests  have been done to issue everyone is safe and we all can benefit from your services. I’ve been paying close attention to this due to my fear of it happening to me or my family who use AIRBNB. AIRBNB WE NEED YOUR INVOLVEMENT SOMEWHERE,SOMEHOW TO CONFIRM SAFETY FOR OUR HOMES AND OUR NEIGHBORS AND TO CONFIRM HOME LOCATIONS ACTUALLY EXIST. I’m sure we would all pay a extra fee for these services!! Thank you and I hope you’re paying attention to what is evolving. Thank you!

View Best Answer in original post

6 Replies 6

@Cedric194  This is a community of peers, not Airbnb customer service. Nobody here has access to your reservation details or account.

I'm sorry you've had this frustrating experience, and I'm honestly perplexed by how it happened - if the listing was reviewed by prior guests, surely one would have mentioned that it was in the wrong city. But when it comes down to your contractual rights as a customer, the most you can really count on here is a refund. Airbnb is unfortunately in no position to guarantee a replacement booking at the last minute because it doesn't own any of these properties. They're owned by hosts, who are extremely unlikely to be able to accommodate you on the spot. If you find yourself in the unfortunate situation of suddenly needing same-day accommodation, your only realistic option is to find a hotel room. That can be a difficult and costly burden on a busy holiday, so it helps to have a travel insurance plan that covers unexpected relocation costs (if this is available in China - that I don't know).

For what it's worth, people in every country have been complaining about the customer service and the long wait times. It seemed to get a lot worse last year after Airbnb downsized its staff, and it's showing no sign of improving. The person you spoke to was probably a subcontractor working from home, with no authority to make any special accommodations for you, so the best you can hope for is that you got your money back.

Noted with thanks, Andrew

Liv
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Cedric194,

I'm really sorry to hear about that experience. I hope you and your family were able to enjoy yourselves at the other listing.

I have inquired the Customer Support team about your case and a case manager is currently working on it. They have asked you to please follow up with them directly so they'll be able to look into this further.

I hope this helps, please let me know if you have any other concerns.

Thanks,

Liv

Thanks for your approach Liv

@Cedric194 

Can you post the link of the listing ?

The city is written and there is a map.

So guest and host can see in what city it is.

It happens that Airbnb is unable to well located a home because of similar names in different places.

In this case, Airbnb must fix it when the host ask them to correct the mistake.

If it is a new host, maybe he did not check that his accommodation is not in the right city on the map.

Keep in mind that Airbnb is not a hotel.

A good communication is the key success to have a great experience.

When I have a reservation, I check with the traveller how and what time they plan to come and I give them tips to come.

A few days before arrival, I confirm the adress and details to arrive.

It seems there was no communication between your host and you.

It is extremely rare to discover a wrong adress at the very last minute.

Airbnb and the host must check if it is an error or a bug in the adress.

Airbnb does not provide emergency accommodations.

This is why it is better to discuss of all the details with your host before travelling so you can book elsewhere if the place is not suitable to your needs.

Some people think Airbnb is similar to hotel.com but it is completely different except if you book in a hotel with Airbnb.

I’m getting a little concerned about this due to my neighbor also does Airbnb and her guests came in robbed her this past week and they left the next morning with everything. Also, people placing homes on AIRBNB that are “not actually there” is obviously an issue and a crisis when you and your family are the ones in the heat of the moment standing in the cold with no where to stay and not sure what to do next. You’re basically on you own! If the CS at Airbnb were in any of the situations would certainly understand the emotions and a bit of fear involved!!!   My Airbnb/home is set up for 4 guests. 13 stayed for 4 nights and destroyed my stairs, etc. Airbnb is a wonderful concept but it seems to be expanding to other areas with not so nice participants. I love Airbnb as I have said and I’m sure we all do but I’m thinking criminal background checks or some type of confirmation of their intent needs to be confirmed by some other method then hoping it all works out!! In a perfect world with perfect people AIRBNB is wonderful but things are changing dramatically due to those who are so incredibly dishonest and those “dishonest participants” have figured out AIRBNB’s system and are starting to benefit financially in wrong doing!! AIRBNB please get more involved! We all want to stay with this/AIRBNB but we need more assurance that a better check of Hosts and Guests  have been done to issue everyone is safe and we all can benefit from your services. I’ve been paying close attention to this due to my fear of it happening to me or my family who use AIRBNB. AIRBNB WE NEED YOUR INVOLVEMENT SOMEWHERE,SOMEHOW TO CONFIRM SAFETY FOR OUR HOMES AND OUR NEIGHBORS AND TO CONFIRM HOME LOCATIONS ACTUALLY EXIST. I’m sure we would all pay a extra fee for these services!! Thank you and I hope you’re paying attention to what is evolving. Thank you!