Palm Beach County Tourist Development Tax (TDT) Must Be Paid By You

Answered!
Brian1613
Level 10
West Palm Beach, FL

Palm Beach County Tourist Development Tax (TDT) Must Be Paid By You

When you sign up for Airbnb, it tells you that they collect taxes in Florida. Well, sort of. ONE COUNTY, Palm Beach County, does not participate.

When you read this: https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/2580/palm-beach-county-fl , it is still currently telling you to go to the County website to find out the rules.   They don’t really post them, either. 

You must collect the Palm Beach County Tourist Development Tax (TDT), and file it, manually, yourself.  If you haven’t, taking Airbnb at the “We pay Florida Taxes, thing,” you will be fined for each late report, and still owe the 6% TDT.

Further, Airbnb does not collect the TDT. Here is how you can collect it yourself, though, through their system:

1. In your Hosting Dashboard on a WEB BROWSER, go to the listing under the Listing tab;
  2. Under “Pricing” in the listing, scroll down to “Standard Fees and Charges”;
  3. Click on Community Fee;
  4. Set the calculation to %
  5. Enter 6, per reservation
  6. Save

That will then collect the money needed to pay the local 6% tax.

Otherwise, the 6% comes out of your profits!

I just went back and caught up.  It can be a bit expensive, with fines.  

Why is Palm Beach the only county that does this?  Can’t tell you. I asked. Got no answer. I would suspect that they like the fines. Otherwise, they would get 100% of the tax money through Airbnb.

Brian Ross
1 Best Answer
Marie5877
Level 2
West Palm Beach, FL

Wow! What a shock I got! I tried my best to follow all of the rules. I thought AirBnb was paying for the  taxes - I can see that the guests have been charged! Were those only for the state of FL? Has AirBnb been paying them or am I going to get socked with a penalty for those as well? 

I cannot believe that the County can penalize a whopping $50 per month when there explanation is so poor. i am appealing it, but who knows if that will work or not. OUCH!

Your help is 1000% better than either explanations on AirBnb or PBC websites. Thank you.

View Best Answer in original post

55 Replies 55

Are you also a host?

Brian Ross
Gus15
Level 2
Florida, United States

Property Management and Super Co-Host offering my services in Palm Beach County and Broward County FL

Hi! My name is Gus and I am a Super Co-Host and Property manager servicing Palm Beach County and Broward county Florida. I just recently helped a new Airbnb Host with the roll out of their Triplex and is already booked for the next several month with revenues of 13k a month!

I am very personable, I am hands on also! Will treat you like family and as if your home is my very own! My fees are not crazy! You get top quality work from me and direct communication!

Let me help you reach your Airbnb Hosting goals!

Gus

**[E-mail address & phone number hidden due to safety reasons - Community Center Guidelines]

Gus Rene Martinez

Good Afternoon! Congrats on your new project. My name is Taika and I am with Effortless Cleaning Services we are looking to expand and I would love to partner with your company. We offer move in/move out cleaning services, office cleanings and much more! Please find attached to this message our price list. We also offer price matching, if you have a more competitive price offer we will happily match that price.

We are eager to create new relationships and look forward to the opportunity to work with you.

Please let me know if you have any questions

**[Advertisement removed in line with the Community Center Guidelines]

Jody11
Level 2
Delray Beach, FL

There is no "Standard Fees and Charges" under pricing or anywhere else on the Airbnb website. How can I add a charge of 6% for taxes to my guests payment?

Airbnb pricing page.JPG

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

We're working on renewing our Airbnb permit with Jersey City.  

Our city reached a voluntary agreement with Airbnb in 2018 where they were going to collect all city and state occupancy taxes.  Great.

However, the city is now telling me that Airbnb has been collecting the 6% tax from guests, but hasn't paid the city.  Thus, they city is telling me that I need to pay that 6% or my permit won't be renewed...which of course is patently  unfair since the occupancy tax is paid by the guest not the owner.

I've tried contacting Airbnb, but to no one's surprise, their answers are less than transparent.

@Nick @Quincy @Stephanie  Anything  you can do to bring this issue to Airbnb's attention would be most appreciated.  The city has told me that some owners are going ahead and paying this 6% and then may try to sue Airbnb in civil court.  We were one of the first batch of permits to be approved last year after the city passed a more restrictive law, so this issue absolutely will be occurring with ALL of the listings in Jersey City over the next few months!

I just raised our prices with the view that I may have to pay this tax directly from now on, but it is a really strange situation where Airbnb indicates they've paid the tax on our behalf and the city is adamant that Airbnb has not paid it.

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Mark116, thanks for the tag here. I've checked this with the team just now, and I've been informed that this case is currently being reviewed. A member of the team will reach out to you asap. 

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

@Quincy  Thank you Quincy!  I really appreciate it.  As a long time procrastinator, I was blindsided to get this information last week from Jersey City's Office of Housing Preservation, since my deadline is tomorrow, LOL.   

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Oh no, that's very soon already @Mark116! I've added this on to the request that I sent earlier to the team. 

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

@Quincy  One more piece of information, the city says that initially Airbnb did pay the city the tax they were collecting.  The woman I spoke to said that after they passed the ordinance that severely limited/regulated Airbnb's in Jersey City, [I think this was passed or went into effect last January] that then they stopped paying anything to the city.

My plan is to file for the permit renewal and not pay the 6%, I assume the renewal will be denied but it will at least give some time for resolution between Airbnb and Jersey City and for us to possibly consult a lawyer or pay the 6% on appeal.

Thanks again for your assistance!

Robert6603
Level 2
Boca Raton, FL

The issue with going the community fee route, is that Airbnb includes that fee when they charge the 6% state sales tax. They take nightly fee, cleaning fee, and the community fee and charge 6% to remit to the state of Florida. That means guests will be paying us a 'fee' for taxes and then getting taxed on top of that tax. We need an option to add tax manually the correct way. For now you just need to add it to your nightly rate amount. 

So are you not going the route of requesting the amount from the guest after they book, which is what Air BnB support has advised? However, we are worried this will result in cancellation or it looks like we are just trying to get more money. So you are just increasing your nightly rate by 6%?