Parking - How do I list it's available but not free?

Gina-And-David0
Level 2
Saint Kilda, Australia

Parking - How do I list it's available but not free?

Hi Community,

We have a parking space available for guests to rent for an extra fee.

On the web stie version, parking is listed as an option under amenities but it is worded as "Free parking"

However, on the mobile site, it just gives the option of ticking "parking".

Although we have provided information in our description that parking is avaiable for an additional fee, and we ticked the parking option on the mobile site which did not mention that it was being offered for free, we have had a guest complain that the site advertised our parking for free and that they chose our listing becuase of the free parking.  

We have resolved the issue with our future guest by offering parking for free and explaining why there was confusion. However, the lack of continuity on wording between the parking option in amenities on the web site and on the mobile app is actually the isuue.

Has anyone else come across this problem before? Is there a way for the parking to be listed as an added option, but not as a free option.

Looking forward to your feedback.

Kind regards,

GIna

7 Replies 7
ZenHomes0
Level 10
Singapore

@Gina-And-David0 Unfortunately that's not an option now. Guests who check parking usually check it because they're looking for a home that has a reserve spot for them and not having to pay for it because it's in the nightly rate. It's like having internet, but when they arrive they're charged for it, it just makes no sense since it should come with the place. If the parking option was a huge attraction perhaps since the area around has few parking options, you can list it at the top of your listing description, I'd say that's the best you can do. Also clarify this when there's an inquiry. 

Thanks @ZenHomes0 for your reply.  

I can understand your point about guests expecting free parking if it is listed as included free with the listing.

The problem I encountered is that the web site version indicates that the parking option is free but the mobile version does not.

It was my experience as a host and as a user of the site that was not positive.  

I listed the amenities using the mobile app and it did not inform me that they would list the parking as free.  We clearly mention that we can organise parking as an optional extra for an additial fee of $10 per night in our listing (local parking is $5 per hour).  We also make mention of it to guests when they book.  

The guest booking which promted this thread was intiially very rude about it and I did not enjoy being put in the uncomfortable position of having my integrity questioned.  We sorted it out for the guest.  They were made to feel comfortable and parking was included as free for their booking, so everything turned out okay for them.  But I did not have a positive experience.

I have since removed the parking option from the listing to avoid confusion. I have keot the worded info re parking in our listing and continue to offer it to guests when they book.   However, I would like to see the parking option clarified for hosts on the mobile app that by selecting this option parking will be listed as free to guests, and by way of suggestion, I also think it would be valuable for airbnb to include an optional extras section which can provide guests with information about additional amentites (or optional extras) available for a fee.

Hi @Gina-And-David0,

You can advertise extra services (such as parking) on your listing by describing them in your listing description.  If guests would like these services, you can make a special offer at the time of booking with the additional services added on.  

Alternatively, if the guest checks in and they would like any of these services, you can put the payment through using the resolution center at https://airbnb.com/resolutions and choose "Request payment for extra services".  If you charge for these services this way, you and the guest are not charged Airbnb fees and the guest can have it paid using their payment method.

I hope this helps!

David

David

Superhost Ambassador ~ Host Club Community Leader ~ Community Expert ~ Experienced Co-Host

@Gina-And-David0  As weak as the programming often is on the AirBnB web site, the app's is even worse. And the fact that the wording might differ in the app doesn't change the fact that it's really altering the same setting. The app has far worse disconnects between it and the web site. I always suggest using the app *only* to receive alerts about bookings/inquiries, check your calendar or to respond to messages from guests and potential guests. Don't alter any of your settings using the app. (Caveat: I only have experience using the iPhone app. As far as I know, the Android app work like a charm.)

Amaris0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Hi, I have just had a look at the mobile app and it definitely states 'Free Parking', I wonder if it could make a difference which country you are in although I wouldn't have thought so - I'm in London by the way but shouldn't matter.

Hmmm...Interesting to know that we could be looking at the same website but seeing different information, it could certainly create to a lot of hostility if a guest thinks they are getting a free amenity only to find out they have to pay extra.

Wish you all the best for the future,

Ama

@Amaris0 My app (in the US, the lastest update for my iPhone) just says "Parking". Which, admittedly, can be misleading.

By the way, the app also says that my base rate is $91, which it's actually $90 and has been for some time. (There's no currency-conversion issue involved, and no rounding issue.) My base rate is set to $90 USD, but the app decides to show it as $91 USD.

My point, once again: Don't use the iPhone app for anything except looking at one's calendar or communicating with guests. Never set *anything* using the mobile app and never trust what it shows for any setting. AirBnB's coding is the WORST I've ever seen for a "professional" product in my 25-year career in software. They operate as total cowboys, and lazy cowboys at that. 

Armagan0
Level 1
Queensland, Australia

We also experience the same inconsistency between the website and the applications. We only use the mobile app to respond our guests and the website to alter listing, calendar etc.

And definitely +1 for airbnb to make the parking as an optional fee, like cleaning fee but somehow recurring nightly. We live very close to city centre, where the parking is ridiculously high. We do have the opportunity to provide lock-up garage or visitor permit that cost us money and hustle and it's also a fact that some guests choose us because of free parking offer. 

We obviously don’t want to include it in our price for people who doesn’t need it at all and we also don’t want to go through “updating the price” or “sending special offer that includes fees” etc which makes the entire booking process complicated for travellers.

I let the airbnb decide the user experience but we really would like to see some parking fee charging option per night.