Parking

Jen144
Level 2
Victoria, Australia

Parking

We provide street parking for some guests by lending them our  visitor's parking permit. The local council charges $250 to replace it. Human error of this kind is common,  so we would like to ask for a security deposit of $100 as an incentive not to forget to return it to us.  We would like to have a cash deposit which we return in exchange for the permit at check-out.

Please advise.

4 Replies 4
Jenelyn0
Level 2
Orlando, FL

Hi @Jen144, I do understand your concern but the best way to do it is to add a security deposit in your listing instead of asking the guest to hand you cash. Airbnb doesn't allow cash payment outside Airbnb platform, please check this link for your reference: https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/199/what-should-i-do-if-someone-asks-me-to-pay-outside-of-the-ai...

Here's how to add security deposit in your listing: https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/59/how-do-i-add-a-security-deposit-to-my-listing

Jen144
Level 2
Victoria, Australia

Thankyou Jenelyn, I have come around to that now. However, tell me, is the security deposit charged up front then returned to the guest or only billed once there is an issue? Also you may be able to tell me do most people include a security deposit? I have never seen anything about it as a guest.

Jen

@Jen144, you are wise to ask about that.

The AirBnB "Security Deposit" is not really a security deposit. No money is taken from the guest ahead of time. If the host wants to make a claim against the security deposit, the host must make a claim in the Resolution Center, and it is up to AirBnB (and the guest) to decide if the host can receive any money from the Security Deposit.

So while with a normal Security Deposit, the host is in charge of deciding what happens to the money, with the AirBnB "Security Deposit" the host has no such power.

Maybe you can have the guest leave their Driver's License as a deposit for the parking pass? (Since while the car is parked, they won't need to drive?)

Jen, the security deposit is pre-authorized/hold, 14 days after guest check out the deposit will be released automatically If you don’t make a claim.

Usually, for room only listing they don’t have security deposit, typically entire house listing always have a security deposit. I suggest you add the security deposit in your listing even if it’s room only listing. Also, in your houserule and house description state that if they don’t return your parking passes you will collect it thru their security deposit so the guest will be aware on the consequences and they agree on your term and conditions upon booking hence, it will be easy for you to collect the security deposit if they don’t return it.