Partial refund after cancellation

Hazel42
Level 2
Weymouth, United Kingdom

Partial refund after cancellation

Hi there

I am very new to airbnb so am a little unsure about this. I have a 'strict' cancellation policy. A guest made a booking for a few weeks hence and we had a few emails backwards and forwards chit chatting, everything was ok.

Then out of the blue they said they wanted to cancel (it was still weeks away at this point). I said how disappointed I was and tried everything possible to offer alternate dates, and discounts but he was adamant he wanted to cancel so I said unfortunately they would have to do it from their end as I didn't want to be penalised.

The guest then kicked off about the cancellation policy saying it was outrageous that they would lose 50% even though the booking was weeks away.

After lots of emails (where I remained polite at all times) I finally caved in and said if the weekend got rebooked I would refund all their money bar £50.

One of the days rebooked but the other didn't.

The guest is now asking for the rest of the refund. I have replied to say the money actually takes a few days to arrive in my account and I also want to make sure the second booking does not cancel or leave early.

I have looked on the resolution centre and on the forum - it says if you click refund there ought to be a 'partial refund' option but when I go to that area I can only see the option to 'refund for cancellation' and I don't want to release the whole lot. There doesn't appear to be a 'partial refund' option - or am I being stupid.

Is it on the next page?

I don't want to click OK in case it refunds everything then it is too late to go back.

How do I go about this.

I would prefer to do everything through Airbnb rather than paypal the money outside of airbnb.

Any suggestions welcome.

Also - where does the fund come from - if I the guests payment for booking is winging its way to me, where will the refund cash come from - will it be deducted from my next booking or will I physically have to pay it.

5 Replies 5
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

hello @Hazel42 ,

When the guest booked, he agreed also to the attached cancelation policy. So you or not obliged to refund more then the policy allready did. Offcourse the guest has to cancel, as it is his wish. He will loose the Airbnb servicecosts and the 50%. I you are willing to refund some money, it normally will appear as a negative amount in your Transaction History (so will be deducted from first future payout). Offcourse do this via Airbnb, not outside the system.

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/165/how-do-i-refund-my-guest

Best regards, Emiel

Letti0
Level 10
Atascosa, TX

@Hazel42 DO NOT REFUND a dime until you actually get the money in your account. He may some how get AirBnB to refund him and then you're out what you refunded out of your pocket. Wait until you recieve the money. Personally I would not refund this jerk with his attitude, but you did promise if you rebooked any part of his stay to refund. Only refund what you recieved with the new booking nothing more and only after your paid. Your policy was in place when he book and it's CLEARLY visible on the booking confirmation before he accepts. 

Carol578
Level 2
Brooklyn, OH

I had a guest book for 10 days, on his 8th day here his job he was in town for notifed workers that job was complete and they did not need to return to job site. My guest put in a request to alter dates on the 8th day wanting to leave and get full refund. I ignored his request and told him to cancel dates with airbnb website.  I would have accepted alter dates had he done it before check in, Im sorry this is a business to me and I cannot afford to refund people all the time. My guest was very sneaky, he said he could not find cancel feature on airbnb ect... The reason being after I talked to airbnb is that a guest cancel dates after checking in works like this... him canceling the 2 days through airbnb would not have got him 50% back, he would need to cancel dates 2 days prior to the dates he wanted to cancel to get refund. He was wanting to cancel same day he found out job was done and leave with no notice. Im glad I checked with airbnb because guest sent me a copy of cancellation policy that just showed guest gets 50% refund of any days they did not accommodate room. He was very upset when I kept messaging him back to contact AIRBNB about his cancellation and refund. He wanted me to go resolution center and hit send guest money! nope, did not do it. I ask him how would he like if I came to him on 8th day and said hey, I have someone who wants to book for 12 days and needs to check in today,  I need you to leave early,  and im not giving you any money,  thats how it is for a Host, we set these dates for you, so you know you have a place to come to, we collect monies for this so we have an income. I rely on my bookings for paying bills, since I am newly divorced. I have Moderate cancellation policy and thinking of changing to STRICT , with a comment on my booking page, there are no refunds, unless falls under Airbnb , natural disasters lol. Im tired of guest trying to be sneaky and get rooms for free or cheap !

Aaron-and-Helen0
Level 1
Bendigo, Australia

We're in the same boat here, trying to ioffer a partial refund post booking date. The resolution center isnt helpful. Is there any way of doing this? Does anyone know?

Serena223
Level 1
Bewdley, United Kingdom

Hi,  i'm in the same situation, the couple booked for four days but today less than 24 hours before they were due to arrive they have said they think that as parking is not on site that they want to cancel.  I explained that usually you can get parking close by on the side streets which is only a 2 minute walk away and that they could stop outside the apartment to unload bags.    Because they were worried they might not find a space and may have to walk for a few minutes longer they said they needed to cancel.  On the listing it states there is no parking and that it is close by.  I have a strict policy as been let down a few times, they want me to refund payment, I would be prepared to make a partial refund but not full refund as it will not get booked out not for the next week at such short notice.  How do I make a partial refund only as

I have looked on the resolution centre and on the forum - it says if you click refund there ought to be a 'partial refund' option but when I go to that area I can only see the option to 'refund for cancellation' and I don't want to release the whole lot. There doesn't appear to be a 'partial refund' option - or am I being stupid.

Is it on the next page?

I don't want to click OK in case it refunds everything then it is too late to go back.

How do I go about this.

I would prefer to do everything through Airbnb rather than paypal the money outside of airbnb.

Any suggestions welcome.