Partial refunds

Douglas1
Level 1
Hobart, WI

Partial refunds

I have a guest who came to my house on a 3 night booking.  They had an emergency at home, and had to leave after the first night.  There were 2 guests, booked separately into 2 rooms.  So, out of the 6 nights (2 guests, 3 nights each), they ended up staying for 4 (the other guest ended up staying). 

Should I, as a courtesy, refund the one guest a partial amount?  They were in town for a football game, so I'm tending to believe the fact he had an emergency, since he would have had a game ticket he can longer use, and had to pay extra for his flight back due to the change in airline plans.

If I do allow him a refund, should I refund him for both nights?  I could have easily rented out the room with more notice, but I understand that "stuff" happens. 

They did not ask for a refund, and when I contacted him, he stated that he wasn't worried about the refund.

3 Replies 3
Linda0
Level 10
Spring, TX

Since he didn't ask for a refund I wouldn't worried myself giving him a refund. Did you read in General Hosting where a guest requested a 50 percent refund after staying for a month. Many host believe it is because too many newbie hosts give out unnecessary refunds and are sending the wrong message and thereby attracting abusers who stay in your home and want to do it for free or at very little cost, using "extenuating circumstances" as the reason.
Dave-and-Deb0
Level 10
Edmonton, Canada

Hi @Douglas1

You sort of answered your own question by indicating that you "could have rented it out easily". I would wait if you were thinking about reimbursing him as he might ask Airbnb for a refund due to "extenuating circumstances". What some people do is offer the guest a considerable discount if they return at a different date.

If you do decide to reimburse a portion of their rental, you can find some "How To" directions in a post I did yesterday.

How to Use the Resolution Center

Cheers
Dave

David

Superhost Ambassador ~ Host Club Community Leader ~ Community Expert ~ Experienced Co-Host

Annie7
Level 2
Queensland, Australia

I'm just wondering why you would even consider giving a refund if the guest themselves have stated they are not worried about the money - what could it possibly achieve? But a goodwill gesture of inviting them to message you for a "mates rate" discount, or a bonus extra like pick up from the airport or a beer in the fidge, etc etc  next time they, or possibly one of their friends comes to town again, may earn you some loyal and reliable customers. I think it is important to look at things from the guests' point of view and see what would be meaningful for them. Cheers!