Parties

Jacqueline853
Level 2
Toronto, CA

Parties

So last year I rented an air b n b stating that I will be throwing a birthday party and if it was allowed at their house, they were completely fine with it and it was by far one of the best birthdays because of the space and how many of my friends/family actually came out and spent the night.Ill be honest , it was a party .. loud music, drinking and that stuff HOWEVER I made sure everybody knew that they would be responsible for any damages and had the entire house help me clean the night of and tidy up the next morning. It was perfect and everybody had fun but when the night was done we all knew it was time to clean and be out the next morning for check out.I can no longer find this listing and would love to do this again. I am very honest and mature , I would love to do this again but find it so difficult to find any air b n bs that offer more than 16 people to sleep . I dont even mind bringing air mattresses if the host was okay with it. All my reviews are positive and I really do respect the people that open their homes for the public so the least we could all do if you do have an event , is just respect it and clean up after ourselves. Its that simple. 

10 Replies 10
Rowena29
Level 10
Australia

@Jacqueline853 It's wonderful that you are so honest and upfront

However, I'm not sure you are goign to have much luck finding a place to rent in Canada on these boards.

These are GLOBAL community boards where hosts and guests meet up online to support each other and trouble shoot.  I am in Australia for instance.  The liklihood that a Canadian host in your area will read this, who fits your needs,  is slim.

Did the host who let you throw the party leave you a review? When I look at your profile I only see two reviews, and both of them seem to be for listings for 2 guests maximum.  so there is not a lot there to reassure a host, other than your word.

all I can suggest is contacting several hosts with listings in the area you are interested in,  up front and explaining yourself to them the way you just have here.   The trouble with making a lot of noise is that it often leads to neighbour complaints and a whole raft of issues, so hosts often want to avoid this type of thing, even if they feel you are trustworthy. They don't want to jeopardise having their listing taken down.

Nevertheless there are lots of guests who lie and then throw a party anyway, so you may find that by being very honest and direct as you have been, that you find a host willing to take the risk, although I have to say, I think it's fairly unlikely.

Good luck!

No he did not leave me a review and I never met the host but he messaged me saying if I want to re book I can , but now a year later, I cant find it .. Its not a party where its random people its all friends and family but it just sucks that I cant find more than sleep 16+ in a house.. any other websites I can go on ? 

Oomesh-Kumarsingh0
Level 10
Pamplemousses, Mauritius

@Jacqueline853  It is hard for you to find an Airbnb for events such as parties simply because most hosts do not allow such activities.As a host i did rent one of my properties once for a party and trust me it was the first and last time.

Im so sorry that happened to you , it ruins it for people like me .. 

Colleen253
Level 10
Alberta, Canada

@Jacqueline853  You can narrow in on suitable places by selecting 'suitable for parties and events' as part of your criteria when searching. Select 'more filters' and look for 'house rules'. You may want to widen the area you are searching in as well, be willing to go a little farther.

But I want to sleep more than 16 .. Air B n B rarely offers that

@Jacqueline853 

You can find a house that accept parties and seems bog enough for your group. Then contact the owner and see if he could accept the amount of people you want. Mention that you can bring air mattresses if needed.

@Jacqueline853 I did a quick search for Toronto and found many that offer 16+ and parties and events allowed. If a listing doesn’t allow parties and events you won’t have much luck. You happened to  get lucky with the previous one. 

Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

@Jacqueline853 Do you still have the Airbnb message thread or any emails from your previous booking? If so they might provide information about how to reach the host again. 

You might also try searching on platforms other than Airbnb, e.g. Vrbo. It's possible the host has left Airbnb but is still listing elsewhere.

Sean433
Level 10
Toronto, Canada

@Jacqueline853 

if you are going to do it, do it now because after this summer, you won't find any houses that have more than 3 or 4 bedrooms. New rules will restrict rentals to a maximum of 3 bedrooms. So maximum capacity you will soon be seeing is maybe 8 guests. 

The problem with hosts not accepting you isn't that they don't necessarily trust you, its that they cannot trust or control what the other 15 people will do. One of your frinds may post a party on instagram and several dozen people will show up. It is very easy for it to get out of control fast unless you stand by the front door all night acting as security. I've had this happen to me, any host that accepts huge groups is asking for problems. There were a couple of shootings in Toronto not too long ago from big groups renting big homes. The shootings were the result of outside guests coming onto the property. They did not even set foot inside the property. It was all done from outside. Any host that accepts such a reservation is beyond stupid and taking a huge risk with very little reward. 

I host a home that can comfortably fit 14-16 people but my maximum capacity is 10 people. I don't need my name in the news for a tragedy just to earn a few extra bucks.