Passport details required for Osaka booking

Answered!
Gemma37
Level 2
Manchester, United Kingdom

Passport details required for Osaka booking

Hi, 

I'm being asked for personal information from my host for a booking in Osaka. The details being requested are: <Required Information>
Apartment name;
Room number;
Date of stay;
Date of reservation;
Family name;
Given names;
Nationality;
Home address;
Email address (Representative of the group);
Passport No. (Travel document No.);

Is this common practice? The host has many good reviews but I'm still uneasy with providing such personal details. 

Anyone come across this before? 

1 Best Answer

Beware this misleading reply!

While this might have been accurate in 2016, since mid-2018 Airbnb hosts in Japan have the same guest registration requirements as any other accommodation providers, such as hotels, hostels and ryokan.  That means they need to collect personal information such as name, passport number, address, occupation and a copy of the passport page for each guest.  Because Airbnb listings won't have a front desk to collect that information when a guest checks in, hosts will usually ask for it in advance.

As a host in Osaka, Japan, I am very familiar with the process.  It's a pain, and I wish we didn't have to bother guests for this sensitive information.  But it's the law, and we risk deregistration and massive fines if we don't comply.

Here's is a list of the requirements written on the Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare website:

https://www.mhlw.go.jp/english/topics/lodging/index.html

View Best Answer in original post

31 Replies 31

陳瑩璇女士,地址:香港新界屯門友愛邨爱智楼2419室

电话:96298612

国籍:中国,职业:厨师

护照号码:k04158647

Candy70
Level 2
Hong Kong

陳瑩璇女士,地址:香港新界屯門友愛邨爱智楼2419室

电话:96298612