Passport details required for Osaka booking

Answered!
Gemma37
Level 2
Manchester, United Kingdom

Passport details required for Osaka booking

Hi, 

I'm being asked for personal information from my host for a booking in Osaka. The details being requested are: <Required Information>
Apartment name;
Room number;
Date of stay;
Date of reservation;
Family name;
Given names;
Nationality;
Home address;
Email address (Representative of the group);
Passport No. (Travel document No.);

Is this common practice? The host has many good reviews but I'm still uneasy with providing such personal details. 

Anyone come across this before? 

1 Best Answer

Beware this misleading reply!

While this might have been accurate in 2016, since mid-2018 Airbnb hosts in Japan have the same guest registration requirements as any other accommodation providers, such as hotels, hostels and ryokan.  That means they need to collect personal information such as name, passport number, address, occupation and a copy of the passport page for each guest.  Because Airbnb listings won't have a front desk to collect that information when a guest checks in, hosts will usually ask for it in advance.

As a host in Osaka, Japan, I am very familiar with the process.  It's a pain, and I wish we didn't have to bother guests for this sensitive information.  But it's the law, and we risk deregistration and massive fines if we don't comply.

Here's is a list of the requirements written on the Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare website:

https://www.mhlw.go.jp/english/topics/lodging/index.html

View Best Answer in original post

31 Replies 31

No, this is not normal.  The host should have all or most of these things provided to them when you made the booking.  I would be concerned as well.  Personally, I would flag the conversation and the host.  

Beware this misleading reply!

While this might have been accurate in 2016, since mid-2018 Airbnb hosts in Japan have the same guest registration requirements as any other accommodation providers, such as hotels, hostels and ryokan.  That means they need to collect personal information such as name, passport number, address, occupation and a copy of the passport page for each guest.  Because Airbnb listings won't have a front desk to collect that information when a guest checks in, hosts will usually ask for it in advance.

As a host in Osaka, Japan, I am very familiar with the process.  It's a pain, and I wish we didn't have to bother guests for this sensitive information.  But it's the law, and we risk deregistration and massive fines if we don't comply.

Here's is a list of the requirements written on the Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare website:

https://www.mhlw.go.jp/english/topics/lodging/index.html

Vincent129
Level 1
Calgary, Canada

I would like to find out if you have provided the information or not.  I am from Canada and is planning a family trip to Osaka in June/July.  And we experience the same thing as the host is asking for ...a significant amount of information.  Not sure if this is a norm in Japan, or ..whether or not I am spoiled by "Canadian style privacy..." LOL

Any suggestions?

Vince

Hi Vincent, 

Did you happen to stick with that host and provide all that information requested anyway? how did it go? i'm experiencing the same with our host in Osaka. 

Hi Llyn,

Thank you for your question.

It is going to be a funny answer.  The host that requested the passport information rejected my booking.  We booked with a different host and they do not have the same requirement (he didn't even ask) and we stay with the new host with no issue. 

We have 2 families going at the same time.  The 2nd family, their host in Osaka initially ask for the passport information as well, but after a few email back and forth, once again, their host ended up not needing that information and the 2nd family stayed with their host.   It seems to me this is not edged in stone, or perhaps different hosts have different attitude towards this requirement... I don't know.

I would like to elaborate a bit more here though.  The culture of providing identification in Asian countries seems to me, is a bit more of a common practice when compared to North America (not sure if you are from NA or not, didn't look at your profile).   When I was in Nagoya staying in a hotel (an institution) and it is asking for passport copies as well.   If the government view AirBnB as a hotel business, then the passport requirement is going to stay with AirBnB for Japanese host, I think...just my 2 cents.   Whether or not it is being enforced, it is up to the host.

Any question, let me know... thanks

Vince

Is confidential, I m not comfortable to give passport to them

Harvey0
Level 4
Nagoya, Japan

Yes, it is normal. Or at least will be for all Airbnb listings starting in 2018. Right now some Airbnb operate under the existing hotel laws and are required by law to collect that information. Starting in 2018 all Airbnb listings will have to be registered under the hotel law or a new law designed for sharing rooms and will have to collect that information and even make a copy of your passport.

Andrea9
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

Other countries too, a couple of Mediterannean ones and Poland I think require Hosts to anounce their visitors with ALL relevant information in advance to their local municipality or tourist office.

We don't have to do this in Amsterdam but ID registration upon is mandatory and hosts who don't can be heavily fined. It is however advised that such practices are included in the House Rules which every guest automatically accepts upon booking.

The information being requested is what is normally requested when someone is checking into a hotel in Japan. Based on some of the other comments I can see that using Airbnb in Japan might get a little tricky.

Just to share my personal experience I was in Fukuoka last Nov. and I did not have to provide any such information. But, the lobby of the place we stayed at had a large sign saying that Airbnbs being operated in the complex were illegal? against the rules? something along this line. After checking in, the host sent me a message that if the guard or anyone asked if I lived in the building and whether I'm an Airbnb guest, I should answer "I am staying with my friend "Hanako" living in apt# 1212 " (which was not the name of my host, nor the apt I was staying in). I also saw a message in the studio apt I booked for 3 nights that I should never answer the door during my stay because the management office or someone fron the home owners committee might randomly come and check to see if the place was being rented out as an Airbnb listing which was not allowed in the apartment complex. All of this I did not know and I wasn't comfortable thinking that me staying in a place I booked and paid for would be seen as "illegal". 

Hi Gemma, i know you posted this question last year but i just came across it because i'm experiencing the same thing with a host of an apartment that we would like to stay in (and already paid for) in Osaka. She is asking that we send copies of our passport to her personal email since she won't be able to meet us in person and that it will be used for the government. I was wondering if you went ahead and stayed in that apartment from that host you are talking about in your question and that you still had to provide all that info they requested for. how did it go? 

Gemma37
Level 2
Manchester, United Kingdom

Hi all, 

Sorry i'm just replying to this. Once it was confirmed as a legal requirement we provided the details but were never asked to provide a copy of our passports. Once arriving the apartment was perfect and I couldn't recommend the host enough if you're in Osaka. She provided everything that we could ever need for the city information wise. I hope this all helps! 

Hi Gemma,

I was wondering did you end up meeting at different location from the AirBnB to get the keys.  My host is asking to make copies and also meet in a different location.  Feels so fishy.

See Yuki in Japan's answer below.  The passport information isn't dodgy at all, it's just what hosts are now required to collect, under Japanese law.  It's the same with any other accommodation providers, hotels, etc.

As for keys, that seems to be common practice with company-run outfits.  They have a central "check in" location so they can greet you and give you keys.  Then you head out to the actual location.  It might be a little annoying, but it doesn't mean that it's fishy.  You're still covered by all the protections Airbnb usually provides if you get to the place and things aren't what you expect. 🙂

Linda566
Level 1
Rowland Heights, CA

I also am staying in Osaka and encourtering the same situation.  I contacted the host and asked if it is normal to request to meet at another location 10 mins walking distance from the airbnb with everyone staying in the airbnb dragging all our luggage?  and he said it is regulation of Osaka City accomodation to make copies of the passport, and due to security reasons, information regarding how and where to get a key is given to guest after reservation process is completed.   I tried looking for ways to contact air bnb to confirm if all this is normal?  I'm curious how you guys went about this and if it seems normal.

Thanks in advance for any input.