Past Reservation deemed "illegitimate" by Airbnb

Kenny128
Level 1
Perrysville, OH

Past Reservation deemed "illegitimate" by Airbnb

Hello all,

I'm a bit perplexed because the other day I received the following message from Airbnb:

"Hi, Kenny and >>><<<, 

We monitor all reservations and user interactions on Airbnb very closely.  We've noticed this reservation >>>><<<< doesn't appear to be legitimate.  As a result we have canceled the reservation and refunded the payment.  If you feel this was done in error, please let us know.  Otherwise we hope you understand that we do this to preserve the integrity of our marketplace."

I had to look up the reservation in question, and it was one that happened weeks ago!  The guest(s) showed up and stayed, we chatted a bit, and we both left positive reviews for each other--they even mentioned wanting to come back!  The reservation now shows as "canceled" in my reservation list (under all, not upcoming).

I tried to contact Airbnb through the message center and it said someone would reply right away, but it's been a few days now.  Has anyone else had this happen, or have an idea of what may have caused it?

5 Replies 5
Alice595
Level 10
Concord, CA

@Kenny128  If it was canceled before the guest stay, it is reasonable.  I don’t understand that a cancellation could happen after a stay. This is insane!

Agreed!  I mean either way I don't understand what they thought was a red flag, it was pretty standard communication I have with all my guests.  The good news is they can't draw money out of my bank account of the refund, but I'm worried they'll "withhold" from my next payment.

They can withdraw money from your upcoming payout from other reservation. No?

@Kenny128    Try Twitter instead.  I have waited days for a reply to a help message and sometimes it is closed with no reply whatsoever.  Could be a glitch,  Airbnb appear to have problems with coding dates and hours.  In the meantime I would take screenshots of the reservation, reviews that you and they left, and any other info that is online, messages between you and guests etc. showing that they did in fact stay weeks ago. You can also try calling Airbnb.

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Help/Contact-Airbnb-A-Community-Help-Guide-UPDATED/m-p/413245

The same thing happened to me around the same time. Unfortunately, their system was hacked. 3 illegitimate same-day bookings succeeded on my account before they cancelled the 4th. As a result, they payed out $1855.61 x 3, which was never received by my, but showed up as received in my account! I now have a negative balance and AirBnB told me I will not receive payouts until the balance is "earned" again! Totally ridiculous! Be sure to NOT accept same day bookings and be very weary. Change your password .